Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Constipation after surgery  (Read 1786 times)

Offline carla05

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Constipation after surgery
« on: August 17, 2014, 10:00:33 PM »
I've been dealing with a lot of constipation after my surgery. I had alot of pain, and had to take laxatives and even put an enema.

how do you deal with this issues? Im very weak beacause of the surgery and the pain and have no energy left.

i need advide

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 404
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Constipation after surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 10:23:47 PM »
You need to drink lots of water, have high  fibre foods, try to move around as much as you can too.  If it continues to be an issue, talk to your doctor.  It should ease as the anaesthetic leaves your system and you reduce the opiates (what pain meds are you taking)?

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline carla05

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 12:45:50 AM »
I talked to my OS.. (since he is from a private clinic i get his private number) and he wants to see me in the ER at 9pm... I've been having calf muscles spasms since my acl surgery on monday and it get worst when im in a standing poscition... and now im having bad stomach aches,.,,, i think he wants to rule out blood clots. which i dont think i have.

im just very weak because of the pain in both my leg and my stomach. and the constant standing up to go to the bathroom.

Im no weight bearing for another week. so its a challenge.

Offline Chester57

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 01:09:15 AM »
If you continue to have the problem (which can happen if you need to take pain medications) try citrate of magnesium.  Works fast with little to no stomach cramps.
1980 LK open total synovectomy to remove AVM--Undiag AF Begins--MUA-AF & Instability--Debridement-AF--LOA, Synovectomy, Menisectomy, Chondroplasty, M/L Ret Release-AF, Instability & Sublux--MCL, POL, MPFL Allo Recons-AF--LOA, LR, Synovectomy-AF--LOA, M/L Ret Release, Synovectomy-AF

Offline JOW_103

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 09:22:44 PM »
If you are taking opiate based pain meds they will cause constipation.  Take a stool softener, not a laxative.  When I had my two surgeries I was prescribe stool softener (Colace)and was required to take one each day as long as I was on the pain med.  If you don't have a prescription, use MiraLax which is available as on OTC drug and can be found in most drug stores or pharmacies.  Surprised that your surgeon did not prescribe this for you from day one.

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 01:41:08 AM »
Hi Carla05:  Sorry your so uncomfortable.  I'm glad your seeing you doctor in the ER to rule out DVT.  You never know.  Stomach pains are associated to constipation.  They will get that all straightened out there.  They will change your medications maybe pains meds too.   I would try to move around as much as you can to avoid blood clots even when you are feeling better. It's very important.   Like Vickster said fiber will help if your not doing that already.  Drugs like Colace is what is prescribed most of the time to get you on your feet again.   I hope your feeling better.   LAS

Offline carla05

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 02:42:02 AM »
Hello all,

Thanks for your advice.. DVT was ruled out.... I have a bad spasm on my calf muscle and that is why im having pain.. i had a bad limp before my surgery that caused my spasm.

I was given a lot of meds via IV in the hospital on sunday and does helped for the pain but I havnt been able to go to the bathroom again ever since. i went to my physical therapy session today and saw the doctor and he checked on me again.... he changed my medication to see if that helped and added citrate of magnesium.

beside my stomach issues my knee is doing just fine, the doctor did a very good job. But im not ready to get rid of my pain med just yet haha... im not that tough

Hopefuly with this change of meds i will be better.. ill keep all of u updated. Thankss!!

support