Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Jumpers knee questions  (Read 896 times)

Offline sam1234

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Jumpers knee questions
« on: August 17, 2014, 07:22:55 PM »
Hi all

My son (16) has recently been diagnosed with jumpers knee in both knees. He has had knee pain for about a year and he plays basketball to a high level and was initially told by an nhs physio that he should do eccentric exercises and that he could still play basketball as long as he limited the amount of high intensity jumps. The physio told him that his knees should be fine for an important basketball tournament at the beginning of September , but since then the pain has got worse. My son was getting severe pain particularly in his left knee even when doing the prescribed single leg eccentric exercises. Since then, the physio he was previously seeing has left and the new physio has told him that at some point (preferably soon) he needs to stop playing basketball for 3 months which would cause him to miss  the important tournament which is part of the selection process for national teams. In your experience, how long does jumpers knee usually take to heal and would it be useful to undergoe MRIs etc to determine the extent of the problem?

Thanks.

Offline sam1234

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Jumpers knee questions
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:48:25 PM »
Please could someone help just for reference he has patellar tendinopathy not tendonitis which I forgot to mention previously.
Thanks

Offline Fred Wilkins

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 02:53:57 PM »
Hi Sam,

I will answer later on this evening for you, got to run but will try and help!!

Fred

Offline sam1234

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 03:41:17 PM »
Thanks Fred your help and anyone else's help would be much appreciated as we need to decide whether to pull out of the tournament by next Sunday. Since I started this post a few things have changed so I'll do a brief update. At our last visit to the physio he was worried about the lack of progress and said he would try and refer my son to an orthopedic consultant or sports doctor. He also suggested that in his opinion the damage to the tendon might be extensive and require surgery. As such I have a few questions. Firstly, other than surgery is there anything an orthopedic consultant can do to help improve the problem?. Secondly, how long do tendinopathies tend to take to recover with and without surgery. Thirdly, if surgery is required would they normally operate on both legs at the same time and would this require the use of crutches/wheelchair and for roughly how long? Finally, my son is desperate to play in the tournament as it is used for selection for national teams so if he did play is there a serious risk of tendon rupture?
Thanks in advance for all your help.