Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Irritating persistent knee thing  (Read 925 times)

Offline Traveler8

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Irritating persistent knee thing
« on: August 14, 2014, 05:41:28 PM »
Hi there. I'm a 35 y.o. fem. I've been playing soccer most of my life and work out regularly. About 8 months ago , I started noticing that I was getting a bit of a pinch right under the front of my kneecap when going up stairs. Being me, I figured it would eventually go away. It progressed until stairs (up and down) were tortuous and my knee would eventually pinch hard enough to make me stumble. I also found that it was difficult to straighten my leg. It sort of feels like it's catching, but I can force it. So I went to an ortho, who did xrays, advised my knee looked normal, diagnosed chondromalacia, and prescribed pt. I went to pt for over 2 months and stopped playing soccer for the summer. My pt eventually decided that progress was ok, but should be better. Doing lateral moves was always irritating to my knee and any activity outside of generic gym workouts (hiking, etc) would irritate my knee for a few days. PT advised I should go back and get an mri. Doctor advised that this is a tough problem, but it wasn't bad enough to need cortisone or any other injection, and handed me a knee brace. 

I realize that other people absolutely have worse issues. I can walk fine. But my lifestyle includes soccer and hiking and other activities that are being heavily impacted. I also need to be physically mobile for my job. I can walk slowly up and down stairs, but can't go faster without pain. I've been doing a jump program with pt, but it often irritates.

My question is this: should I continue to wait this out and stop whining about it, or should I be more proactive in seeking an mri/treatment? I sort of felt like the doc shrugged his shoulders and said "good luck with that..." Could be my fault.. I'm not exactly a squeaky wheel when it comes to this stuff.

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 6
Re: Irritating persistent knee thing
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 06:07:28 PM »
Hi Traveler8,

I would start with MRI. Since you keep on getting knee pain, and behind patella plus you were diagnosed with chondromalacia, MRI will show if there's any damage to the cartilage. I have Chondromalacia Patella Grade I (softening) in both knees. One does not hurt at all while the other does from time to time. I must admit that one leg has much more muscle mass build by me then the other so I assume that one of my patella's tracks better then the other. I'm working on the other leg right now.  So my advise to you is to get MRI, see what's going on inside and get the appropriate treatment. Knee pain ain't fun and the faster you get answers the sooner you can treat it.

Cheers and good luck!
August 2014 MRI:
Mild Chondromalacia Patella in both knees
Normal cartilage thickness in both knee caps

Offline Mvbinion

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Irritating persistent knee thing
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 04:42:06 AM »
Listen to Papasmurf! IF all else fails the MRI will rule out further problems and you can make a definite plan of action with no doubts!

support