Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Leenie's MPFL Reconstruction  (Read 18848 times)

Offline Leenie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Leenie's MPFL Reconstruction
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2015, 09:14:57 PM »
So, today I am seven weeks post-op on my left knee and 15 weeks post-op on my right knee. My left knee ROM is up to 92 degrees, so hopefully I can resume driving soon! My right knee's ROM is about 130 degrees.

My office was closed for a week and a half for the holidays, so I got a nice rest. Today we reopened, and I am so tired!

I tried dialing back on the ibuprofen this weekend. It felt fine when I was at home not doing that much, but today, back at work, the pain has crept up. Also, the weather has taken a bitterly cold turn, which I don't think helps. The temperature is about 0 degrees Fahrenheit, and with the windchill it is -25 degrees! It is also icy for the first time this winter...not a great time to be unsteady on my feet!

I'm still using two crutches and the brace unlocked to 60, but the physical therapist said she would probably let me go down to one crutch some time this week.

Offline Leenie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2015, 07:15:09 PM »
Today, I am 10 weeks post-op on my left knee and 18 weeks post-op on my right knee. My ROM is good, basically back to normal, on both knees. As of last week, I am off crutches, using a cane occasionally for extra stability. I also only use the brace occasionally. I take the brace off for all of the exercises at PT.

I still need to build up strength in my legs. The other remaining complaint is residual pain. I have tried to stop taking ibuprofen, but I am still bothered by pain, especially in the left knee. Hopefully this will stop with time.

On Thursday, I had a meeting with a cardiologist and a genetic counselor to screen me for Marfan's and other connective tissue disorders. They don't really think I have Marfan's, but they decided to run genetic testing just in case. It will take three months for results, but they are pretty positive the test will come back negative for the Marfan's mutation.

A friend recently asked if I thought having the surgeries was worth it. I think the answer depends on how long these ligaments hold up before tearing. If I get 10 good years without patellar dislocations, I think all of the pain and hassle would be well worth it. I was lucky that I was living with my parents at the time, so that I had someone to take care of me after the operations. I also was lucky to have a very accommodating workplace.

I'm planning to try taking the train tomorrow for the first time since my first surgery, which was September 22. I don't have PT tomorrow, so if I get ridiculously worn out, I can just go home and ice and sleep. I'm optimistic that the experiment will be successful. My only concern is if trains get cancelled and the station gets packed, I can't stand around for hours on end. Hopefully people will take pity on the lady with a cane and give up a seat!

As another update, I accepted a new job, pending a government background check. The background check should take 4-6 weeks, in which case I would start my new job right after Easter. That gives me nine more weeks of physical therapy before making a cross-country move, which hopefully should be enough. My physical therapists keep commenting that I am making a lot of progress really quickly. Hopefully that trajectory continues! I can do a full revolution on an exercise bike now, so I'm looking forward to shedding some of the pounds that have started to add up since falling in July and becoming immobile. I'm also looking forward to just being more active...I'm not much of an exercise person, but I used to walk EVERYWHERE. It will be good to recover that measure of independence as I become stronger.

My next check up with the OS is in five weeks. At the last check up, which was the second week of January, he was pleased with the progress on the right knee and hopeful that the left would catch up.

LEENIE

Offline Leenie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2015, 07:13:24 PM »
Now, I am 13 weeks post-op on my left knee and 21 weeks post-op on my right knee. My motion is good in both legs, and I am regaining a lot of strength. I abandoned the brace several weeks ago. I feel steady enough not to need a cane, but because it's icy and slippery, I still use it when I am walking outdoors. I'm taking the train like an old pro. The only thing I'm not back to is running and jumping. Hopefully I will be able to resume those activities in the next six weeks. I have six weeks of PT before moving to DC for my new job. I'm seeing the OS in two weeks, and I'm hoping he says that I don't need to continue PT once I move. There are plenty of exercises and activities that I can do on my own.

I'm still having pretty bad pain though! I'm also still taking ibuprofen three times a day. Sometimes I will get sore after activity, but the worst pain is from sitting with my legs bent for an extended period of time. I still use the bath seat under my desk to prop up my legs for most of the day. I'm hoping that when I start my new job in April that I won't need the bath seat!

Offline Enza

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2015, 06:04:43 AM »
it sounds like you are recuperating very well! I wish you luck and happy knees forever!

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 08:48:06 PM »
Leenie  it's great to see your recovery I'm really happy that your starting your new job in April keep us posted :)

Offline MPFL2015

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 10:08:15 PM »
I am 3 weeks post op and I am fully weight bearing but in a straight leg splint 24 hours a day so still hard work to walk around. My physio doesn't believe in ice for swelling only for pain and as I have had not much of either I haven't done any icing. I think I won't be returning to work until at least 8 weeks but this is partly because I am in the splint for 6 weeks. I have had very minimum pain and bending it well so hopefully your experience will be as good!

support