Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Leenie's MPFL Reconstruction  (Read 18841 times)

Offline Leenie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Leenie's MPFL Reconstruction
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 02:28:49 PM »
Well, my boss is amazing. He is going to let me work from home two days a week, so I only have to come in three days until I am able to take the train again. I probably won't try to brave that until I am off crutches, which is another four weeks.

Being back at work has really lifted my spirits, but it's so much more walking than being at home, so I have increased my dose of ibuprofen. That more or less manages my pain for now. We'll see how I do once I start PT!

Offline Leenie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 09:56:31 PM »
At this point I'm getting anxious to start physical therapy. Yesterday, I was working from home. I had my computer in my lap, and I could feel it sinking into my right leg, where the muscle has atrophied significantly. I still have to wait two and a half weeks though!

Offline Leenie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 07:20:58 PM »
I am desperately fighting the plateau. It gets harder and harder to detect progress as the days go by. I guess I just have to try to be more patient.

I was upset before my surgery, as I had to give up a job opportunity that ultimately wasn't ideal for a number of reasons because they wouldn't adjust the start date. I had a phone interview this morning, and I'm optimistic that this might be my chance. The potential issue (trust me, I'd be delighted to have this problem), is that they might want me to fly to DC next week for a follow up interview. It would be a relatively short two-hour flight to DC from where I live. Monday will mark five weeks post-op, and I can get around reasonably well on crutches, so I feel like I should try to go to the interview if I am offered one. Does anyone have any advice about flying with crutches? Is it hard to request a wheelchair to your gate? Would I have to check my crutches, or could they stow them on the plane? Would I be putting myself at an unreasonable risk for DVT?

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 07:37:02 PM »
Hey Leenie
I had to fly with crutches post 6 weeks to Mexico City from London and my surgeon said to me it has to be over 6 weeks due to DVt risk, of mofl surgery but I suppose everyone will differ in their opinion, generally at the airport they are pretty good at london heathrow they automatically got me a wheel chair to the lounge ...
They will take the crutches away from you for take off and landing due to safety...... I got a doctors note to confirm I could fly before I travelled as to be extra cautious the airlines are generally helpful when you get on the plane they will bring everything you need to you I didn't use my crutches on the p,and as such I balanced on the seats but used the crutches in places I couldn't hold
My flight was 12 hours direct it might be an idea to ask your surgeon I think I remember my surgeon saying under three hours 5 weeks is possible but would have to wear DVt socks........

Congrats in the interview keep us posted :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:06:15 PM by lucha86 »

Offline Leenie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 12:17:34 PM »
Hey Lucha,

Thanks for the info! I haven't heard about scheduling the interview yet, so if it happens it will probably be next week rather than this week, putting me at a safer six weeks post-op. I'll talk to my OS for advice if I need to, but I feel like I have to make this happen! It would be such a great opportunity.

My knee seems to be getting on alright. Officially, I am still supposed to be using two crutches with partial weight bearing on my right leg, but around the house I will use one crutch or occasionally no crutches if I am in the kitchen or something and need to carry something for a short distance. I am really looking forward to starting physical therapy, which is one week from Monday! I can also stop wearing the brace at that point, but I've been wearing it for so long that it will be a little scary to take that away. I'm hoping that after one week of physical therapy, I might try to take the train to work as an adventure. There is a bus that goes right from the train station to my office, but walking from the train platform to the bus stop is a sizable distance (and the station is so crowded during rush hour!). If it doesn't work out, I could get a ride home from work. I just miss my normal life! It's funny, but I miss doing little things like taking the train and just being more independent. However, that being said, I've been able to get around, and I'm really happy that I was able to return to my desk job when I did, mostly so I could get out of the house and interact with people. Hopefully once my right knee/quad is strong enough for me to drive, I will be more independent.

Leenie

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 05:08:14 PM »
By the next four weeks you will look back and think his quickly your recovery is it's frustration when you lose your independence after mpfl surgery but the benefits so outweigh pits surgery pain keep us posted about your interview and progress :))

Offline Leenie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 04:35:11 PM »
So, I officially am headed to DC for the interview! It's not until November 11, at which point I will be seven weeks post-op and hopefully at a low risk for DVT and all that. The thing that I am worried about the most is having my knee bent for the two-hour flight, as I haven't had it bent for more than half an hour at a time since the first surgery. According to the airline, I can ask for a wheelchair at the airport, which I will definitely do. I requested a shower bench at the hotel where I will be staying, so hopefully the trip will go smoothly and the interview will go well! If everything works out, perhaps I will be starting a new job by February! I love my job right now, but it is temporarily (the latest it will last is June) and does not pay well.

I am uber excited for Monday! That is six weeks post-op, so I can start physical therapy and stop using my brace. One of the first things the therapist will work on is transitioning me off crutches. I've gotten so used to the brace and crutches, but I will not be sad to see them go, at least temporarily. I will only have two weeks of therapy to really strengthen the right leg, because I have my left MPFL construction scheduled for November 17, which is exactly eight weeks post-op. I know what to expect this time around, but I am definitely worried that my mobility will be more of a challenge, as I won't have a "good" leg to rely on. I guess I have to trust that my OS knows what he is doing in scheduling the procedures so close together.

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 07:30:06 PM »
hey leenie just make sure you wear the flight socks..... to lower the risk of dvt and my suggestion is if you can get up and down as i have travelled with the mpfl construction on long haul flights, sometimes ask the airline as well if they can move you to a suitable seat where your leg can stretch out they moved me to a place where they put baby cradles so i could stretch out my leg more ....

great news you can go to your interview keep us posted how your physiotherapy goes =)

Offline Leenie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 01:27:39 PM »
Last night, I finally started physical therapy! My range of motion is 90, which I am not surprised by, since I have been wearing the brace unlocked to 90 when I am sitting and using the CPM to 90. I got a lot of good exercises to do at home, and I am really motivated, so I will be a good student and do all of my homework.

I am a little disappointed, because the OS said I could lose the brace/crutches this week, but my therapist wants to go slow. I go back tonight, and she said maybe she will let me lose a crutch. She said she wants me to continue wearing the brace for a few days after I lose both crutches. I trust her judgment, I'm just rearing to go and get off the crutches and brace, especially as I now have less than two weeks until the MPFL reconstruction on my left knee on November 17. It will be a tough two weeks, but I am definitely ready.

Offline Leenie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 06:44:34 PM »
So, after last night's session, I am down to one crutch! People have been telling me that it looks like I am walking well, so perhaps on Friday at the next session my physical therapist will tell me that I can stop using crutches altogether and then wean myself off the brace.

Pain during PT has been manageable, although yesterday the therapist was massaging my knee around my scars, which did not feel great. I also was unable to use the exercise bike, because I was having trouble bending my knee enough to pedal all the way around. So most of the exercises I can do are done sitting or lying down. Hopefully they will do the trick!

Offline Leenie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 04:35:54 PM »
So, today I am seven weeks post-op for my right MPFL reconstruction, and one week pre-op for my left MPFL reconstruction. Officially, I am still supposed to be using one crutch and the brace, but around the house I have been walking around without crutches, sometimes without the brace as well. My ROM is 95 as of Friday, and my leg is feeling a little stronger. I may just make this all work out! I'm still pretty nervous. I only have two PT sessions left before my next surgery.

Tomorrow is the big trip to DC for the job interview! I called the airline to arrange wheelchair service. Does anyone in the U.S. have a guideline as to how much to tip the person who pushes my wheelchair for average vs. good service? I know those people are paid practically nothing, so I don't want to be a grinch. I'm very worried about having my knee bent for the two-hour flight, as it still is incredibly painful to bend my knee for more than half an hour. I am going to request (and my PT will write me a note supporting this request tonight) to pre-board, so I can get a bulkhead seat in the front. At least then no one can recline right into my sore knee!

Offline Leenie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 05:14:46 PM »
Well, I survived the airplane trip to DC! I was able to squeeze in a second job interview while I was in town, so we'll see if anything comes out of it.

I got to the airport about two and a half hours before my flight on Tuesday. I checked my bag and the agent noticed that I had requested wheelchair service. The wheelchair pusher had to push two wheelchairs, which I felt really bad about! She parked me at my gate, and I sat there for about two hours. I got to pre-board the airplane and got a bulkhead seat in front. I asked the flight attendant to fill a plastic bag with ice for me. I kept my leg extended the whole time and iced most of the flight, and everything went smoothly. A wheelchair attendant was waiting for me as I got off the plane, and she wheeled me to pick up my bag. I got to jump the taxi line. I got to my hotel and had dinner there.

The hotel gave me a shower chair, which was great. I was able to walk from my hotel to my first interview. They were aware of my knee issues, but I think they were surprised when I showed up with one crutch. The conference room was on the third floor, and there was no elevator. I was able to make it up there with no problems though. They took me out to lunch and, surprisingly, I managed to not get any food on my suit! I took a taxi to my second interview, which was shorter. I grabbed another taxi back to the airport.

Again, I checked my bag and requested a wheelchair. The wheelchair attendant parked me by an outlet, as I needed to charge my phone. I pre-boarded and got another bulkhead seat and another bag of ice. The flight was no problem at all. However, when we landed, there was no wheelchair waiting for me. The flight attendant put in another request, but after waiting for a while, I had to run to the bathroom. When I got out, I saw some wheelchair attendants standing around and asked for a ride. I'm glad I did, because I was at the gate that was the farthest from the baggage claim. My mother picked me up from the airport, and I was relieved to get home.

More than anything, I am tired after my trip. However, yesterday I switched from ibuprofen to acetaminofen, as the OS wanted me to discontinue NSAIDs five days prior to my November 17 surgery. Today, my joint pain isn't much worse than usual, but boy are my leg muscles sore! I don't know if acetaminofen is just not as good for muscle pain or if physical therapy is just starting to catch up with me. In any case, all I want to do is draw a hot bath and take a nap.

I have two more PT sessions to strengthen the right leg before the MPFL reconstruction on my left knee. Hopefully I will be able to get around without crutches for at least the weekend before I need them again on Monday! I also have to wean myself off my brace, as I will need it for my left knee. It should be a good weekend, one last hurrah before being housebound for a couple of weeks again.

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2014, 07:30:16 PM »
Great to see you managed to get the flight :))) not long now till your second surgery keep us posted how that hoes Leenie the air hostesses are great when they gave you ice I think when they see people in pain they help as much as they can :))

Offline Leenie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 01:14:53 PM »
Well, now I am 1 day post-op from my left MPFL reconstruction (and 57 days post-op from my right MPFL reconstruction). According to the OS, surgery went well. My nerve block is just starting to wear off, so the pain is just starting to get intense. I am icing around the clock and have started to use the CPM machine to 30 degrees. This time around, I more or less know the drill.

The hardest part right now is relying so heavily on my right leg, which has not totally recovered. I have found getting up from a chair or bed to be extremely difficult, I think because at some subconscious level I am scared to put all of the weight on my right leg to stand up. I found having something more sturdy than a crutch to hold onto helps a lot.

Physical therapy sessions will be very interesting, as we will have to do mostly table stretches and exercises on the right leg until I am cleared to bear more weight on the left leg. Right now I am restricted to 20-pounds toe-touch weight-bearing. But probably just walking around the house will be good exercise for the right leg as well. At least I won't have to leave the house for physical therapy until Thursday!

Offline Leenie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 04:39:48 PM »
Unfortunately, now that the nerve block has worn off, the pain from this MPFL reconstruction seems to be significantly worse than the one I had done in September. Last time, I was able to manage my pain with Norco, but now I am doing Norco and ibuprofen and still experiencing a somewhat constant throbbing pain. I can't wait for this week to be over so I can feel like a person again.

support