Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Dynasplint anyone?  (Read 1787 times)

Offline laxknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Dynasplint anyone?
« on: August 12, 2014, 08:16:37 PM »
Background: ACL reconstruction 4.5 months ago, resulting in extensive scarring of the Hoffa's fat pad. Lacking 5 in full extension.

Went through 4 OS interviews. One surgeon (Dr. Scott Dye in SF) says I have a mosaic of post op issues. For regaining extension, he recommends a dynasplint. Has anyone used this before? Has it worked for them? I did some online research and learned of a new type of mechanical stretching device called JAS.

Any views on pros / cons of using either of them? Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks!

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
Re: Dynasplint anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 08:20:17 PM »
Never used, but heard of many success stories. I then tried to improvise the same principle at home...

I have read however about the extreme cost and often problems with insurance companies...

Offline mjeffrey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 52
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 08:22:39 PM »
I haven't tried it but it was recommended to me on this thread.
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=64405.0

fsugirl I, too, had an MUA and am glad I did.  I also came out of the procedure with 120 ROM; however, I didn't maintain it and again plateaued (at this point, I can't remember at what degree - it may show up in my signature :) ).  Similar to your sag leg exercise, what eventually got my ROM back was a device called the Dynasplint - http://www.dynasplint.com/ .  The concept is similar in that it is spring-loaded and you attach it to your upper and lower leg... and when you are wearing it, it gently pushes the lower half of your leg toward the top.  I could wear it at home or at work.  I could wear it in different positions; however, as you might imagine, it worked best if I were sitting up with my leg able to dangle over my seat/chair.  I'm a firm believer in the product - so much so I even considered taking a sales job with them... but since I'm not truly a sales person, after talking with them, we decided it wasn't the best idea.  I do suggest you check it out if you are having difficulty getting back your ROM.  I read a lot of negative comments online about the financial side of using this product, but I can tell you that my experience was totally fine!  I think my insurance covered a portion of the cost and I paid about $28 a month for the time I was using it & then sent it back with very clear, detailed, easy instructions - at no cost to me - and they cancelled my automatic draft payments as soon as they received it - which was pretty quick.  HOWEVER.... it does sound like the sag leg exercise is a similar and less expensive method, so if that works for you, you may not want to spend the extra money.  Just putting it out there because I believe in the method. :)

I had good results from a CPM machine.
2014:
20 Feb: Comminuted patella fracture, 4 K-wires, Cercalge, Figure of 8
11 Mar: Staples removed Flex 50
22 Apr: Control Xray, flex 80, progress stalled
09 May: MUA: flex 120, 3 weeks CPM
23 Jun: Slow Running, Flex 135
06 Jul: Flex 140
08 Aug: Hardware removed
10 Sep: full flexion

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 08:31:12 PM »
mjeffrey:

It's not available in Europe anyway, it's sort of a renting system with salesman, which is only available in US (that I know of)... at least that is what I gathered before.

Typical CPM won't be of much use for extension gains, only flexion.

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 08:37:28 PM »
These exercises seem to have good results. Holding static like this for periods up to 15 minutes if you can hold that much, or at least what you can manage (relax your leg, no muscle tension in order not to block it), just let gravity do the work (it's possible to add improvised weight over the femur):

http://www.patientedonline.com/images/knee/therapy_knee3.jpg
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/assets/images/Community_Hub/admin_rehab/05_passive_extension_small_.jpg

To do several times a day for up to 15 minutes and for a long time, several weeks until the extension becomes normal, (not a weekend task, takes time)

Offline mjeffrey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 52
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 08:38:15 PM »
You're right. Missed the bit about it being an extension problem. 
2014:
20 Feb: Comminuted patella fracture, 4 K-wires, Cercalge, Figure of 8
11 Mar: Staples removed Flex 50
22 Apr: Control Xray, flex 80, progress stalled
09 May: MUA: flex 120, 3 weeks CPM
23 Jun: Slow Running, Flex 135
06 Jul: Flex 140
08 Aug: Hardware removed
10 Sep: full flexion

support