Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL Graft Rupture or Meniscal Tear?  (Read 1061 times)

Offline panickyteenager

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL Graft Rupture or Meniscal Tear?
« on: August 11, 2014, 10:33:04 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie on this website and even after reading a bunch of posts about graft rupture, I still had to reassure my condition before I see my therapist tomorrow.

Yesterday, as stupid as I am, I accepted a challenge to race a short distance from this dude, me on crutches with 2 seconds head start and him one legged. As all races are to me, I got competitive and when he was passing me I tried going faster, causing to accidently step with my right leg, a high impact for someone 2.5 weeks post-op, peg walking with one or two crutch(es).

What scared me most is I think I heard a pop with pain behind my knee. After a minute or two though, I could still peg walk and bend and straighten my leg.

As of now, full extension is a bit uncomfortable ONLY behind my knee even down to the calf area. Everything else feels the same. No swelling and no pain on top or even inside the knee. No pain on kneecap.

I got an ACL reconstruction surgery with meniscal repair 2.5 weeks ago with autograph from my hamstring tissue.

Is graft rupture supposed to be painful and what is this most likely be?

Thank you for reading.
Abigail

Offline monsterknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: ACL Graft Rupture or Meniscal Tear?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 10:48:28 PM »
the pop sound could have been just about anything. you should call your surgeon and he'll be able to evaluate a with a lachman test if your acl is still intact(ie firm ending point)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 10:26:59 PM »
If you didn't twist the leg, then hopefully you didn't harm the graft - but given the pain that you experienced when this happened, it's still a good idea to get it checked out.

Your graft is fragile for the first weeks out of surgery. Racing of any kind - or anything that increases your chances of slipping, tripping or stumbling - is a really, really bad idea! Take it easy, follow your therapist's instructions, and don't be lured into accepting any challenges that might make you feel competitive for a little while...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:44:24 AM by Snowy »
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline panickyteenager

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 06:16:34 AM »
Update!

Thank you all for great replies. I am just a panicky teenager after all...my therapist said that it's just a hamstring strain. I massaged it each day and a week after the incident, there's no more pain in that area! Because two of my hamstring tendons have been used to make my graft, my hamstring was still tender and was susceptible to strain.

For those of you out there who've heard a pop around the back of the knee and are worrying they might have torn their graft, no worries. I read that the pop from hamstring is actually pretty common and if the graft was torn, it would swell quite a bit, though it may not hurt as much as the first tear. Same with the meniscus; it would swell up if it had been injured.

ALSO I was stupid to do the race so yes, lesson learned. The hard way...

Thanks all!
Abigail

support