Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Looking for some ideas  (Read 892 times)

Offline parkmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Looking for some ideas
« on: August 11, 2014, 02:30:23 AM »
Hi all. 

A few weeks ago, while fitness walking, I stepped off a curb funny and felt a pop in my left knee.  I've had some swelling on the medial side and, over the past two weeks, the pain is slowly increasing.  It doesn't hurt much as long as I'm not putting weight on it.  Some minor swelling, no bruising, but does occasionally pop while walking on it. I am able to walk, but with a limp.

I tore my meniscus on my right knee a few years ago, but this doesn't feel the same.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth having it looked at, or if I should just wait it out a few more weeks to see what happens.  If I do wait it out, would wrapping it be a good idea?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Re: Looking for some ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 04:26:34 AM »
Yes  you can wrap it and see how it feels. Also use ice to take the swelling down.   If you have a limp you really should get it looked at.  I don't know whether or not you had surgery on that knee.  If you didn't you could of damaged it a  bit more and it's causing the pain, swelling and popping.  Usually popping along with pain is associated with a meniscus tear.   Sometimes the popping is crepitus in the joint,  it could be arthritis, it could be tendon or a ligament.  It's hard to tell.   The best thing to do is see the Orthopedic Surgeon, Get an x-ray and MRI and go from there.    Good Luck.   LAS

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 09:32:43 AM »
HI

For peace of mind, get it checked out by your doctor

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 09:32:55 AM »
HI

For peace of mind, get it checked out by your doctor

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline parkmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 01:54:33 PM »
Thank you.  I haven't had surgery on this knee, only the other one.  I'll probably try wrapping it and doing ice a few times a day to see what happens.  I don't have insurance that will cover it, so a fact finding mission to the doctor would be very expensive. I'd like to try some at home things first.

I did sprain my MCL two winters ago in the same knee, which is why my insurance won't cover anything for that knee for the next three years.  However, I haven't had any troubles with it in over a year. 

Thank you again for your suggestions.

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 12:31:18 AM »
 Try wrapping, resting, icing, and elevating  as much as you can.  If you can tolerate anti-inflammatories, that would probably help.  Not all injuries need surgery.  If this treatment does not work then you need to get some expert advice.   I'm not familiar with insurance procedures in the UK.  It seems  unfair since this is a different injury, time, place and acute onset.   Another thing you could try is a visit with a PT and they could advise you on some therapy so that your knee doesn't stiffen up, yet avoiding further damage.    The cost would be less.   Here in the US they have free clinics at some major hospitals,   This may be an option.   Best of Luck!  LAS

support