Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: HELP!! 5 weeks post acl reconstruction- still on crutches  (Read 4400 times)

Offline Ashleen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
HELP!! 5 weeks post acl reconstruction- still on crutches
« on: August 10, 2014, 07:49:32 AM »
Hi I had an acl reconstruction of July 8. I'm starting to get worried cuz it's been a month and I'm still on crutches. Is there something wrong with my knee?? Most people are off crutches by now so should I be concerned? My physio says it's ok and that everyone heals at their own rate but my surgeon said that when she sees me next week I should be off crutches. What should I do?? I'm so worried! Please help.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:57:50 AM by Ashleen »

Offline strangegravy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
Re: HELP!! 5 weeks post acl reconstruction- still on crutches
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 01:16:26 PM »
What's stopping you from walking without crutches? Is it pain, doesn't feel right or something else?

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 03:27:29 PM »
Yes, most important information is omitted. Pain? Muscular weakness? Fear of causing damage?

Offline Ashleen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:25:27 AM »
Hey! Thank u so much for replying. It's not really pain that's stopping me. My knee just feels too weak to handle my weight and it's feels stiff too. I really don't know what to do. Could it be that I have scar tissue or is all of it just in my mind?

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 09:50:03 AM »
Ashleen:

All of us who went through surgery, need to have in account that there will always be limitations.

Once the knee is injured and/or is submitted to surgery a few things always happen:

- The inflammatory process will cause the knee to lock, it is like a natural response of a joint to lock and become stiff in order to allow healing.

- If this goes on for a while (and usually does) ligaments, tendons and muscles tend to shorten, and will need to be elongated back by physio work.

- In the the event of trauma and or surgery, there is often a muscle shut down, muscles like the quads for example don't fire or respond well during the inflammatory phase. Under longer immobilization or lack or use muscles will also loose mass.

- When there is an inflammatory process, some level of scar tissue will be developed. In some cases easier to work out through physio, others will be a bit more complicated.

Factoring all this together, you need to balance both risks (doing exercises as mentioned by your PT/OS in a way that is not risky for your ACL), but keep working on ROM, strength and muscle activation. Either way, if things are moving slow after 5 weeks, you can now discuss with them how to get more aggressive with it from now on.

Offline shashankstar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 03:39:01 AM »
I  am   going  through samw  condition  as ashleen  6 weeks post  op  ,  i am also not  able  to  do  a  straight leg  raise  without  slightly  bend  knee

Offline BigKneehurts

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 07:07:32 PM »
It took me about 8 weeks to raise my leg after surgery. For me my quad muscle just shut down. They had to shock the crap out of my muscle to get it to wake up.  You need to get with a good therapist who has experience with your specific surgery.

I had to change therapists because the first one I went to had no idea what she was doing. She had me doing the wrong exercises and actually damaged my patellar tendon. Set me back about 3 weeks.

Keep in mind that people recover at different speeds.

Also try walking with just one crutch. Thats what helped get me off of them.