Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patella and Tibia Fractures and Ruptured Patellar Tendon  (Read 4128 times)

Offline Mellowscout

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
Re: Patella and Tibia Fractures and Ruptured Patellar Tendon
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 07:15:00 AM »
Well done on the shower! I'm still not there yet...but I feel like I could be if I had a walk-in shower with a handrail.  But no way am I gonna try to stand in my tub!  And I hope you made it up those stairs, you are so brave! I am still squeamish just going up the curb.  I've refused to go up more than one step, if the place has steps, I just don't need to go there for a while.

And I also have the same dryness problem.  For me, it was mostly my feet, especially the one connected to the injured leg.  For the first time ever in my life, I've had to use the scrubby feet thing that people use when they get a pedicure.  Or I use the rough side of a sponge, lol.  also because I'm washing my hair in The sink, and just lack of general movement, my scalp got really, really dry as well as my face.  I'm definitely shampooing and scrubbing and lotioning, but this has past week has been much better.  Also, I've gained seven pounds since this predicament started!! Not too pleased about that, but I figure hopefully soon I will be able to work some of it off, considering I am getting married later this year, it's not a great time for the extra weight! Lol.

Anyways, keep up the good stair stepping!

10/17 -fell, right patella minimally displaced fracture & dislocated
10/19-immobilizer on
12/02-OS appt/ out of immobilizer, PWB w/ crutches
12/03- 1stPT, ROM 26 degrees
12/10- ROM 40 degrees
12/19- ROM 66 degrees
12/23- ROM 76-80
12/30-ROM, 92
01/08-ROM 106
01/22-walking, ROM121
3/06- ROM131, walk

Offline Chellie1992

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patella and Tibia Fractures and Ruptured Patellar Tendon
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 07:51:01 AM »
Mellowscout - Stairs over the weekend were both successful and unsuccessful.  I was able to go up the stairs but I couldn't bring myself to go down the stairs so I had to sit down and slide down them...it was very interesting considering there were around 30 people at my parents' house and not much room to move around, especially on crutches.  On the positive side, I finally heard was my niece calls me and it is nowhere near the name my brother is trying to make her call me by. :)

For me the dryness is really only under the immobilizer and bandages and my right foot.  No matter how much lotion I put on it (I spent 20 minutes last night putting lotion on my right leg and foot alone) it is not getting better.

My OS appointment today went very well.  The tibia is pretty much healed to the point it was at before this injury, but the patella isn't showing any signs of new bone growth.  I start PT next Tuesday and I can finally drive again!  I still have to wear the immobilizer all the time, but when the OS tried bending my knee, he was stunned...it bent somewhere between 60 and 90 degrees!!!  ;D  This is very surprising considering I have been in an immobilizer and not allowed to bend or move my knee at all for over 6 weeks.  I don't go back to the OS for 6 weeks and he is hoping that the longer wait will give him something more to show me...like maybe at least a little new bone growth in the patella?

I can't wait to drive again, but I am not leaving the apartment for any reason tomorrow because it is supposed to be -14 degrees F without the windchill.   :o  Now I don't have to worry about what time I make appointments for or what days they are on because I don't have to wake my husband up to take me to them anymore.  And I can finally start going to bell choir rehearsals again now that I am able to get myself there and stand through the rehearsals.
3/20/2011 right knee dislocation & bone bruises
7/21/2011 arthroscopy with lateral release
6/8/2012 MPFL reconstruction
8/11/2014 TTT and lateral retinaculum repair
11/29/2014 Patellar Tendon rupture, Patella and Tibia fractures

support