Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee sprain question (12 yr old male soccer player)  (Read 820 times)

Offline Momofrunner

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee sprain question (12 yr old male soccer player)
« on: August 09, 2014, 03:58:03 AM »
Hi-
My son twisted his knee practicing soccer in our yard 10 days ago. Basically planted foot and twisted knee. We had an mri and will see the doctor again in 3 days. The mri report found no damage at all. So I am guessing a sprain? The pain is still pretty severe. He can walk on it, but any other movement hurts and stairs really hurt it. We have been doing RICE. My questions are: how long should I expect the severe pain to last with a sprain?
It was x-rayed too and found nothing, fyi.

Thanks for any insight.

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Re: Knee sprain question (12 yr old male soccer player)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 05:40:04 AM »
  Not all injuries show up on MRI's and a lot of soft tissue injuries as well.   He should be using crutches and perhaps a brace,  knee sleeve or ace bandage to help with the pain until he sees the dr.  If it is a sprain or strain he should have some relief by now if your doing the rice, but ultimately will depend on the severity of the injury and can be very painful.   Keep away from the stairs as much as possible.  This will aggravate it.   Perhaps you could call the office and get some advice before then.   Good Luck and I hope this youngster is up and about soon.   

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 04:40:40 PM »
Hopefully it is nothing too serious, your son may have badly jarred and twisted his knee that you have already pointed out. Your son is at a young age so will recover quickly from his knee injury. It is human nature to get more anxious and paranoid if your child has sustained an injury. Parents tend to worry more then their child most of the time.

As LAS had pointed out could be soft tissue damage or it could be bone bruising that can both be extremely painful when you sustained such a knee injury. Write a list of questions and concerns you both have that you can discuss when seeing the OS to put both your minds at ease.

If came down to the worse case scenario that is unlikely and needed an exploratory scope children and young adults recover from surgery better then fully mature adults, getting back to 100% fitness on their operated knee. 

Good luck and please keep us updated.

[email protected]

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 05:35:11 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Momofrunner

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 01:36:38 AM »
We went back to the dr. He looked at the mri and it did not shoe damage to him either. He thought it is a mild mcl sprain and ordered PT.  We will probably get a 2nd opinion, as he just seemed so blase and had no thoughts on the high pain after 13 days....are mid mcl sprains this painful? He also gave no advice about staying off leg or anything!