Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Which quadriceps exercise is most helpful to correct maltracking?  (Read 9270 times)

Offline ChelseaSoccer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Which quadriceps exercise is most helpful to correct maltracking?
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2014, 04:09:11 PM »
I am wondering if I have a maltracking issue based on my symptoms. I did get a MRI, but I am still waiting on the results.

I have a lot of knee tightness. I feel discomfort when I bend my knee. My knee pops fairly frequently. If I bend it, and then extend it, I can see (and feel) my kneecap moving towards the outside of my knee and then back to the middle. I have discomfort/tightness "buckling" my knee cap, especially in the mornings.

Sometimes I have sharper pain on the inner side. I also experience discomfort (almost like numbness or a dull pain) on the bottom outside part on the knee. I sometimes have tightness/pain that runs down my inner calf (closest to the knee) and occasional pain that runs up my outer thigh.

I am wondering if anyone on this thread has similar symptoms? I believe I originally hurt myself by jumping during exercise 3 months ago. Could this have possibly led to maltacking?

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2014, 07:16:30 PM »
You have it only one of your knees? Maltracking problems usually happen in both knees. I have never seen anyone with maltracking only in one of their knees.

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2014, 07:19:51 PM »
Have you checked if your pelvic is shifted or tilted? This was the reason for my misalignment. I got it fixed and knee alignment is getting better although im working on strenghtening my core and lower body muscles. Are your knees cracking when you bend them?
August 2014 MRI:
Mild Chondromalacia Patella in both knees
Normal cartilage thickness in both knee caps

Offline ChelseaSoccer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2014, 01:44:07 AM »
I only have the symptoms in one knee. It is constant.

My other knee sometimes has pain, but it comes and goes. It hasn't done the same popping as my other knee.

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2014, 12:55:31 PM »
Did you do any recent intense sports or think you injured yourself after certain activity? Popping could mean few things: tendons snapping back to place, accumulation of gas in the knee joint, meniscus tear. If there's no pain associated with the popping, I wouldn't worry too much. Let's wait for MRI which will show if there's anything to worry about. Have you iced the knee? Can you stretch your muscles? I had the same symptoms way back when the knee joint would tighten up. I did lots of foam rolling, stretching, icing and and the muscles are now way more relaxed. 
August 2014 MRI:

Offline ChelseaSoccer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2014, 11:08:06 PM »
I think I injured myself after jumping (during exercise), but there was not a moment where I felt extreme pain during the activity (I mostly felt something "off" after jumping and later throughout the day, but it got progressively worse throughout the week).

There isn't extreme pain when my knee pops, but it feels weird, almost like it's catching.

I've tried icing and stretching (not sure if I am stretching correctly though), and it hasn't helped.

My knee/leg does feel tight, especially in the mornings. How did foam rolling help? How long did it take before you saw improvement?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:29:39 PM by ChelseaSoccer »

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2014, 03:08:38 PM »
Hi ChelseaSoccer,

I took me couple of months, which brought lots of pain in the beginning due to serious knots accumulated in my muscles. Now my muscles are more relaxed and less pressure is put on the knee caps. People give up because foam rolling hurts at first but we must be persistent and it will pay off. I would not recommend rolling on the IT band itself but underneath it. So when you're rolling your hamstrings, roll your foot outwards and roll it there. Also glutes are very important to strenghten and stretch. VMO and quad stretch / strenght is also advisable.
August 2014 MRI:

Offline ChelseaSoccer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2014, 10:58:23 PM »
Thanks for your help. How did your muscles get tight? I was exercising every day, but I didn't realize it could cause tightness.

My mri came back normal, but I am still in constant pain and have tightness in/around my knee.

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2014, 12:59:46 PM »
Well couple of reasons. With time, my posture and body alignment was off the wack so my left knee was favoring my right knee and it became more tight cause it was doing more work. Plus I was doing lost of speed walking without warming up so the muscles got so tight that at some point I could not properly stand cause quads and hamstrings were firing like crazy and pulling really hard it was extremely unconformable. It takes a lot of time and work to get the muscles back to normal functioning cause the body was reprogrammed to pull hard and now I work on letting the body relax and get muscles to go back to original state.
August 2014 MRI:

support