Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Which quadriceps exercise is most helpful to correct maltracking?  (Read 7115 times)

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Subject says it all. I'd like to learn which type of quadriceps strengthening exercises gave you the best results.

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
Re: Which quadriceps exercise is most helpful to correct maltracking?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 06:30:22 PM »
Hi Cycling-Freak,

For me the ultimate best to date is the wall sit with a ball between the legs. I can make up to 3 minutes. When you squeeze the ball, you're actually working the VMO which is one of the reasons for patella maltracking. Also check out the link. I started doing sissy squats. Don't know if you have chondromalacia patella but seems to work fine for me. I do see improvement with my CP. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZqN9PEmDyo
August 2014 MRI:
Mild Chondromalacia Patella in both knees
Normal cartilage thickness in both knee caps

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 06:49:42 PM »
Hi Papasmurf,

I was reading your own post about chondromalacia patella. I have the same problem and also lateral tilt of patella which makes the problem more complicated.

I tried sissy squats other day but I had pain and inflammation afterwards. Maybe I overdid it but it was only 15 reps. My knees don't like flexion exercises at all. I will try wall sit exercise and see if I my knees can tolerate it. Thank you.

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 07:05:53 PM »
What is the damage to you cartilage? I have Grade 1, only some softening. Sissy squats respond well, I don't have pain or anything after that. If I were you, I would speak to your PT, if you have one before doing the wall sits as there's lots of pressure on the patella as well, I usually don't go beyond 60 degree down angle. I was told that with CP, we should not go more than 45 degrees down, I do 60 and it's fine. What excercises did PT give you so far if any? Also, are you icing your knees right after sissy squats? It does help to get rid of inflammation.
August 2014 MRI:

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 07:12:21 PM »
They did not grade my chondromalacia. Few different doctors I got my MRI reviewed. One of them said it was thinning without defects, other said I lost cartilage on lateral side and another said I have to go inside your knee with arthroscopy for a clear judgment. I am not sure which of them is correct diagnosis. My symptoms are dense though. Few miles of cycling with easiest tempo causes inflammation and pain. Only one mile of walking does the same. I can never get rid of the inflammation and pain.

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 07:17:26 PM »
well that doesn't make sense that your MRI received multiple opinions. Did you see my latest MRI? It's pretty clear. Unless radiologist who reviewed your MRI put something clear, it should be clear for the doctors to understand. I read so much about chondromalacia patella and actually the pain usually comes from misaligned patella and not cartilage for like Grade I or II. I have not had any behind knee cap pain, once or twice but that's it. I do get some pain on lateral side of patella as I was told I have misalignment or tilting. I'm not sure. I'm working on getting my quads ultra strong and stretch a lot and avoid anything that will irritate the knee.
August 2014 MRI:

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 07:31:13 PM »
I have also pain on the lateral side. Exactly the area you pointed in your thread. It is like aching bone when I touched.

I think it is really hard to make a clear judgement about knee joint injuries like ours. It is not meniscus tear, it is not ACL torn or something. One of the doctor had even diagnosed me to have quadriceps tendinopathy. Anyway, I think the consensus is I have some cartilage wear and maltracking to make things worse. And it needs a lots of time and patience to correct a malaligned kneecap and I couldn't find yet any exercise to see any kind of progress.

Regarding behind the kneecap pain, do you mean pain under or back side of the patella? I don't know how one can feel pain there. There is no nerve in there I think. It should cause pain anywhere in nearest tissues.

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 07:46:40 PM »
I meant the pain behind the kneecap where the cartilage is, I don't have any. I did get a flare up once or twice that's it. The pain I have is in the pointy corner of the patella which looking down on my right knee it the pointy right top corner. It's sensitive and when I touch it it's like a nerve is irritated there or something. It's better than it used to be as I had like 6 on 10 pain before now I'm down to 3 or 4. Can't put my finger on why I got that pain in the first place.
August 2014 MRI:

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 07:54:17 PM »
Here's my left patella MRI
August 2014 MRI:

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 07:54:39 PM »
And here's my right one
August 2014 MRI:

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 07:55:05 PM »
How can one self examine himself to determine if patella is laterally tilted?
August 2014 MRI:

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 07:58:28 PM »
Your left kneecap is clearly tilted laterally. It is almost identical to mine. It is weird that it is not mentioned on the MRI report.

Note: Your left kneecap looks like medially tilted on that image but I think it is a mirrored image. Mine was like that.

I attached my MRI from January last year. It is right knee mirrored image.

EDIT: I AM SORRY. I LOOKED CLOSER NOW AND THERE IS NOT MUCH TILT. MAYBE A LITTLE. PLEASE IGNORE MY COMMENT.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 08:05:26 PM by cycling_freak »

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 08:05:58 PM »
I think my left knee was not in exact same position when in the MRI machine as the right one. It's kind of like an illusion. The knee was slightly rotated. It you tilt the image to same axe as the right one it looks identical, what do you think?
August 2014 MRI:

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 08:17:33 PM »
I think you don't have any tilt or maltracking problem.

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 08:20:32 PM »
are you able to post image of yours?
August 2014 MRI:

support