Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Severe Calf and Quad cramps 5 days post TKR  (Read 2368 times)

Offline chris12983

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Severe Calf and Quad cramps 5 days post TKR
« on: August 06, 2014, 06:41:53 AM »
Hi All,

Looking for some recommendations or simple suggestions. I am a 32 year old male in relatively good health other than a surgical history of my left knee that is ridiculously long. After 7 prior surgeries, all of which were done to prevent a TKR at an extremely young age, my doctor finally conceded defeat and recommended said TKR anyways.

I am now 5 days post-op, been home for 2 days, and everything seems to be going well except for some severe cramping in the back of my calf and in the medial area of my quad. In the hospital they did DVT studies and found no evidence of any clots. I have been doing home PT with home healthcare and they have me doing some calf stretches and I've been taking muscle relaxers all with zero relief.

There is no redness, temp changes, streaks, etc. My basic question is, is this common and what can I do to help it move on its way faster. The pain of the actual replacement pales in comparison to these annoying cramps that never end. Thank you for any insight.

Offline Sandy_F

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Re: Severe Calf and Quad cramps 5 days post TKR
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 11:17:36 PM »
Having cramps is not uncommon.  Your leg has gone thru a lot.  You are now walking totally different since the TKR.  You are now doing PT that is working the muscles while you are trying to get back your range of motion.  I would try easy stretching for your calf and quad.  But ask your PT first to make sure its ok.  I had problems with my hamstring and it was very hard to work both strengthening and range of motion exercises.  Each person is an individual in how they recover from this surgery.  I was 45 when I had my first TKR and had had 14 previous surgeries. 

You have a long recovery to go.  Work closely with your PT to ease the cramps.  Heat or massage might help.  Gentle stretching might help.  All this should be passed thru your PT.
Right knee - 14 surgeries including a fulkerson, patellectomy and finally a TKR.  Left knee - Lateral release, microfracture, TKR, then another LR, spacer replacement.

Offline chris12983

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Severe Calf and Quad cramps 5 days post TKR
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 04:42:49 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I've started PT and seem to be tolerating it well.  I've been doing stretches and my wife is massaging regularly.  The cramping in the calf has eased up a bit,  but the quad is a whole different story.  I'm trying to not overdo things,  but it's hard for me to sit still.  Here's to slowly improving.

support