Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellofemoral pain and quadriceps tightness  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Patellofemoral pain and quadriceps tightness
« on: August 05, 2014, 09:24:16 AM »
I have patellofemoral since two years and while sitting in my office chair I always keep my legs almost in full extension as it is suggested by doctors. I think there is a dilemma here as keeping legs straightened all the time quadriceps muscles get shortened. When this happens they pull on the patella with a greater force and friction of the bones increases. I can tell that my quads are tight when I bend my knees occasionaly. What do you think about this subject?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 369
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Patellofemoral pain and quadriceps tightness
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 09:42:27 AM »
What does your daily stretching programme consist of? Do you fully work all of the muscle groups? As a cyclist your quads and calves should be in good shape but less so hamstrings and itb. You need to work everything properly :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 10:20:28 AM »
I don't have a daily stretching regimen. I am stretching sometimes my calves and hams when I feel tightness and fatigue. I was also doing quadriceps stretches but I am not doing it for sometime. It puts some kind of discomfort to my tendons. What I am doing daily is side lying leg lifts to strengthen my hips. I gave up on the quadriceps exercises completely. Even the straight leg lift exercise causes pain and inflammation. As you said I think they are already strong comparing to my hips.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 369
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 10:29:06 AM »
You should get a programme that works everything properly, preferably from a physio or a personal trainer perhaps.  The stretches my physio has given me take about 20-30 minutes! 

With the clamshell exercises, they are more effective with a theraband, so again ask the physio.  Glute bridges are good for hips and core too.  Why did you give up the quad stretches? What tendon does it hurt, it'll feel tight to start but that's the point :)  Also to do it every day regardless of hpw the legs feel to prevent the tightness and fatigue

Given you are concerned about this, it would be best to seek proper professional help to break the cycle
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 10:53:10 AM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 11:56:19 AM »
Pain and tightness in the quads can often be linked with the ITB that has caused me to get pain, tightness with knotted quads muscles and have also been diagnosed with PFS. Using a foam roller and stretching regular is a beneficial way to reduce the tightness that you are experiencing.

I had a Botox injection into tensor fascia lata that located just below the groin above my right knee that did not really make a difference as I had scar tissue inside my right knee that had to be removed 18 days ago.

Has your physio or OS every mentioned ITB syndrome to you that is often a common problem with members on KG that are physically active. I use to be a competitive long distance runner, I made a mistake of not stretching after my run that led to my ITB tightness.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 12:04:10 PM »
Actually I am working on my core most. I don't know if it helps any but I had never worked on my core before and cycling caused a general imbalance between the two halves of my body. I had been in a physio programme before. It was including straight leg lifts and quad sets which I had to remove because of inflammation and pain. My kneecaps simply can't tolerate excess pressure. I think I should plan a new programme. Generally speaking, open kinetic chain exercises don't do good to me. I should focus on CKC exercises like semi squats.

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 12:17:06 PM »
Pain and tightness in the quads can often be linked with the ITB that has caused me to get pain, tightness with knotted quads muscles and have also been diagnosed with PFS. Using a foam roller and stretching regular is a beneficial way to reduce the tightness that you are experiencing.

I had a Botox injection into tensor fascia lata that located just below the groin above my right knee that did not really make a difference as I had scar tissue inside my right knee that had to be removed 18 days ago.

Has your physio or OS every mentioned ITB syndrome to you that is often a common problem with members on KG that are physically active. I use to be a competitive long distance runner, I made a mistake of not stretching after my run that led to my ITB tightness.

[email protected]

Nope. I don't think I have an ITB issue. My physio had tried an ITB stretch on me and he said I have no tightness. I don't have a pain on the lateral side of my kneecap. I mean not in 3 o'clock position. Generally I have inflammation just above the patella, alongside the edge where it has contact with the femur. I know what is my problem. Patella rubbing against the femur really hard. That is mostly because of laterally tilted patella and thinning cartilage makes the things worse. Doctors didn't have any comment on why the patella might be tilted. They are just giving you a paper with some general exercises and bye bye. You are on your own.