Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL rupture-Bone Bruise-patellar subluxation-- HELP  (Read 1537 times)

Offline carla05

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL rupture-Bone Bruise-patellar subluxation-- HELP
« on: August 05, 2014, 07:23:06 AM »
hi, My name is Carla.. 2 months ago i was injured playing basketball (did a pivot liked move) and subluxated my patella... well thats what i thought, after more that 3 weeks I didnt get better. so they sent me to get a MRI and got the news. complete ruptured of the acl, with a huge bruise of the tibia and a lesion of the mcl. my meniscis were completly fine. i have to add that my knee is pseudo locked which means that is at 20 of flexion and if im lay down im able to extend it.. but not standin up and puting weight on it. also i cant bend it. but not because its locked mecanicaly but because of the pain.. i cant even start to explain the pain i feel evry time i try to bend the kneee. the doctor thinks is the bone bruise.

The OS performed a lachman test which was negative, but i have a bad spasm on my hamstring since day 1 and i was very nervuos at my appointment. he things my acl is a high grade partial tear and im set up for acl reconstruction surgery for monday. and im very scare
im scare that when he comes in everything will be fine and my acl will be intact
im scare that he wont be able to take away the pain
do you guys know why im in so much pain still after 2 months????
im worry that im going into surgery with not full ROM, but i cant even start to explain how much it hurts
is the patellar subluxation related to acl tears?
im sorry for so many questions

im 25 yrs old female, from Panama, Rep of Panama.. i speak Spanish.. sorry for my english... and my grammar.

this has taken away my independance.. i cant drive (is my right knee), i have a huge limp, i used crutches for 6 weeks. i cant sleep.. it get worst at night....

thankssss for reading!!!!

Carla...

Offline carla05

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: ACL rupture-Bone Bruise-patellar subluxation-- HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 08:27:01 PM »
hello im better today, i went to my OS today and he answered alot of my questions.. he said that it is probable that eventho my meniscus are fine in the MRI he suspects i have damage because i cant bend my knee.. he says that he will clean up everything and take a good look at my knee.. that my bad spasm wont affect my surgery.. and that my pain after the surgery will be normal and wont be the same pain that i have now.. so im better..

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 09:06:39 PM »
It's also possible that if your ACL is torn, part of it is getting caught in the joint and causing it to lock. Definitely for the best that your surgeon is going in to take a look - the locking means something isn't right. If your ROM is actually being blocked by either the meniscus or ACL you won't be able to resolve it without surgery.

Bone bruising is nasty! It can be very sore, and unfortunately can take well over six months to heal completely. The good news is that it will slowly but surely resolve, and hopefully you'll find that once the surgery is done the pain isn't as bad - it's probably not all coming from the bruising.

It's completely natural to feel scared and nervous before a big surgery. You'll definitely be sore right afterwards, but the surgical pain gets better - and in some ways is easier to handle because you know it's from the surgery, and is a part of the road to recovery. I hope all goes very well for you!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline carla05

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 10:38:11 PM »
Snowy, thanks so much for answering,

Im scared that when he opens up my knee he wont find any problems because my lachman test was negative (even thought i was not relaxed at all and i have a bad spasm in my hamstring). but i cant help but wonder.

after talking to my OS he let me know that he wouldnt operate if he wasnt sure it was necessary, so im more calm now.

my knee being locked is wierd because i dont know if its because something is the not letting me bend or its just because of the intense pain i feel. The OS says it can be either a meniscus tear, the ACL or the nasty bone bruise that can be causing me alot of pain.

also, i dont get the relationship between my patella subluxation and my acl rupture? have you heard any more cases like this? do you think the OS should do something else in the surgery to stabilize my patella?

thanks,

Carla.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 11:29:21 PM »
The level of pain you're experiencing does suggest that something is wrong, even though the test was negative. Think of it this way, though - if he goes in and it's all good, he'll just close the knee up again and you won't have to go through all of the ACL reconstruction rehab!

Keep in mind, too, that it's hard to do a definitive Lachmann test when the patient is in extreme pain or has a lot of swelling. I was so tense when my first one was done that it was negative, but later tests were positive (and given the mechanism of my injury, the doc was still sure that I'd torn the ACL.)

If you were pivoting when you were injured, it's possible the ACL tear happened quite independently of the subluxing kneecap. I would ask your OS about this, though. Do you have a history of kneecap instability or was that the first time it happened?

Offline carla05

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 01:53:26 AM »
Hi Snowy, thanks for answering

I dont have a history of subluxation before.. although its been 2 years that i have been diagnosed with patellofemoral syndrome because i was feeling my kneecap very unstable the doc said that i had malaligment in my knees and thats why i was having pain in the side of my kneee and that explained the patellofemoral syndrome.

I kept complaining and went to 3 different OS and they told me the same, one doc even told me i had chondromalacia. which i dont.

for what i've read so far kneecaps and acl ruptures are sometimes dislocated/rupture during the same mechanism.

I dont think that he is going to touch my kneecap tho.. i think will have to work on my rehab.

I have my surgery for monday... and im very worry since i dont have full ROM specially on my flexion.

But since my conversation with my OS,  he told me that whatever he finds he will fix it on the way.

Also.. the kind of bonebruise that i have is very large. is all over my tibia platou and a small part of my femur. which is a sign of acl ruptured.

I just hope to get some relief from surgery. its been too long and im in pain. :(

Offline carla05

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 09:04:57 PM »
tomorrow is the big day.. i dont know what to expect.
I have to be at the hospital by 8 am.. and ill be back home around 2pm.

wish me luck :=)  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 09:17:47 PM »
Best of luck! I hope all goes very well for you.

Offline carla05

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 09:30:46 PM »
hello, Im back home from the hospital...

i got to talk to the doctor.. he said i have a very good knee :) :)

My acl was in fact completly ruptured but i had no other damage in my knee. beside my now heal mcl and my severe bone bruise... My Patella was not touch during the surgery and he says we are going to discuss my patella on my next appointment (since this was my first subluxation, i will have to do physical therapy for that)

My surgery was a success, had a hamsting graft from the same knee.. and now alot of RICE...

IM LOVING my femoral block btw.

Offline carla05

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 09:31:35 PM »
oh, and i forgot.. im not weight bearing for 2 weeks and was not put on a brace.. is that normal?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:18:18 PM by carla05 »

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 10:32:48 PM »
That's excellent news! I'm so glad that surgery went well and that you can begin your recovery. :)

Every doctor has a slightly different post-surgery protocol. I didn't have a brace either, but was able to begin weight bearing right away. Two weeks NWB and no brace sounds pretty standard, I know of a few folk here who've had very similar protocols to that.

Best of luck with your recovery! The best advice I can give you is to stay on top of the pain meds when the nerve block wears off - make sure you take them on time, and set the alarm to take them on schedule through the night for the first few nights. The post-surgery pain passes fairly quickly, but it's bad for the first few days if you let it get ahead of the meds (I made this mistake.)

Do let us know if you have any other questions as rehab progresses. The most important thing is to have a good physiotherapist and make sure you follow the protocol precisely. It's a marathon rather than a sprint, but you'll get there in the end!

Offline carla05

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 05:56:54 PM »
Hello Snowy,

My femoral block is now gone, and i can feel the pain! lol. My back is also hurting. I talked to the doctor and he said to ice my back as well since is normal in some people to feel some pain in the lower back after surgery. (i think they must have pull something during surgery)

I have my first post op appointment tomorrow and they will be changing my bandage. and my first rehab will be on monday.

Beside my pain med im also taking tylex because it got bad and a sleeping pill which is helping me alot.

did you had back pain after surgery??

support