Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lateral Release?  (Read 634 times)

Offline laxknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lateral Release?
« on: August 05, 2014, 12:33:31 AM »
Background: Had ACL surgery 4 months ago
Complication: Extensive scarring of Hoffa's fad pad + pronation

My OS said there are very few people who get fad pad scarring after an ACL surgery, and even fewer for him since he trims this pad during the ACL surgery. I guess I'm the lucky winner who makes up this small % of people. Anyway, I decided to get a second opinion from a doctor someone recommended on KneeGuru. I went to him today and after looking at my MRI and testing my leg out, he said that I may need a lateral release in addition to the scar tissue surgery. The lateral release may be required because my knee cap tilts towards the left causing a grinding sound (he thinks my knee cap & femur are rubbing against each other)

Has anyone had lateral release done? What was your experience? How much time did it take to recover?
I'm very scared to go in for this procedure :(

Offline RLE

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: Lateral Release?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 03:30:30 AM »
It's so frustrating and maddening that with all the research and studies and literature surgeons are still offering only this. I don't know what your choice of dictors is like but try and find one who will do a lateral lengthening instead of release. In a lateral release they cut right through which is bad news. In a lateral lengthening they snip a tiny bit then stretch the ligament.
Accident 2011: permanent dislocation, hole under the patella, bone fragments/debris embedded, scar tissue, 3 torn ligaments, fracture, cartilage sheared off, contracture,
2011 MUA
PT on-going
2012 MPFL reconstruction,TTT
        TTT
        Lateral lengthenin
        Arthroscopy/clean out
Thx Dr. T