Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PFPS and muscle spasm  (Read 604 times)

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
PFPS and muscle spasm
« on: August 04, 2014, 03:22:46 PM »
I have PFPS since 2 years but lately it is getting worse and something weird started to happen with my thigh muscles. I have something like a muscle spasm on the thigh muscles just above the kneecap. They are either contracting or relaxing by themselves. It doesn't produce any pain, it is more like a relaxation of the tight muscles. It usually happens when I extend my legs fully and most of the time on the lateral side of the knee. A bit above the kneecap and lateral side. I think this is the point where VML muscles attaches to the kneecap. Sometimes it happens on the medial side as well but most of the time it is the VML. I should also note that I have lateral patella tilt. My own explanation is my VML is too tight which is also causing the tilt of the patella and sometimes it gets relaxed by itself. Does anyone experience such a thing?

Atm, my VML is having small beats like pulse beating.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:34:50 PM by cycling_freak »

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
Re: PFPS and muscle spasm
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 05:19:54 PM »
Hi Cycling Freak,

I can relate to you 100%. I had this symptom well actually it's down to 10%. What started it was me walking too intensely for extended periods of time without warming up. So my lateral muscle + IT band got very tight. This in return started to fire my lateral muscle above patella on lateral side without my control. They were contracting and releasing like crazy without me doing anything. This was going on for few months. So finally I got on foam roller. Rolled religiously my quads, hamstrings, abductors, glutes, calves. Pretty much all lower part of my body. It was a long and very painful process but it seems to work. I think my glutes were very tight and thus pulling on it band which in return was pulling on my quads and lateral muscles. It seems to be much better now as thee muscles are way more relaxed. I would start with foam rolling to relax your muscles and tendons. Did you go anything intense recently? I hope my problem seems to what you're going through.
August 2014 MRI:
Mild Chondromalacia Patella in both knees
Normal cartilage thickness in both knee caps

support