Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PCL HELP PLEASE!  (Read 651 times)

Offline coneuptown

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PCL HELP PLEASE!
« on: August 04, 2014, 02:42:09 PM »
hi

I have torn my PCL completely in a rugby game about 9-10 months ago. I didn't get surgery however I went through rehabilitation and its getting a little better but not 100%. I can run and do gym work. My leg is strong in the gym however, I can still feel a little sensation and some sort of pain on the left side on the back of my knee when I bend it back with some resistance. I want to know why this happens as it is annoying me so much.

Currently, when I run I believe that Im not running right. Also when I run I use more of my non injured leg than my injured one and this has caused sports hernia on my leg that was not injured. I just want to get back to where I was and play rugby.

Also I have been stressing over many talks on how people with these sort of injuries develop arthritis after a couple of years. I want to continue to play rugby for as long as I can but I need someone with thorough knowledge and experience with this sort of injury. My question is, is it better off to get surgery or not to get surgery? Also without surgery, will my knee ever feel normal again and pain free?

Your help will be greatly appreciated

Offline bolanbiker

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: PCL HELP PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 02:07:39 AM »
There are several potential issues w/ a PCL tear, due to the tibia being pulled too far posteriorly (by the hamstrings):
1. Chondromalacia patella--there is less clearance between the patellar cartilage and other structures
2. Peroneal nerve palsy--the peroneal nerve is compressed,and "drop foot" occurs
3. Decreased muscular strength--muscle "angles" are changed due to the joint angles and structure

Back when I tore mine (14 years ago), the state of the art was such that I wouldn't have gotten much better stability with a repar. Now, I am used to using a brace (I am an ultramarathon cyclist), and don't wish to give up any time.

You are likely quite a bit younger than I (I am almost 58), and your sport is more knee-demanding. Have you asked an OS who is adept at PCL repairs how stable he/she can get the knee? PCL repair is a unique skill, and you'll need an OS who has experience with it.

Best wishes,

bolanbiker
Ultra-marathon cyclist
LK victim of phone cord 2/00
Chondroplasty sometime in 2000/01
LR in 2004
? PCL tear (who knows)
fastest one-legged cyclist in town :-)

support