Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Sharp Medial Knee Pain  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Jimbojetset

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Sharp Medial Knee Pain
« on: January 30, 2012, 02:31:51 PM »
In March 2011 I snapped my ACL, sprained my MCL and tore both medial lateral meniscus in my right knee. In Dec 2011 I underwent ACL reconstruction (Patellar tendon graft) and both meniscus tears were repaired. Since the injury and throughout the 8 months prehab and current 6 weeks rehab I have suffered very sharp medial pain located in the fleshy area just under the outside of the kneecap at the 3 o'clock position (12 o'clock is towards the hip). The pain is not constant, nor does any amount of prodding, poking or twisting cause the pain and I have now achieved full extension and flexion of the knee with some hyper-extension. The pain occurs ONLY for a brief moment (under full weight bearing) just prior to full extension however it is very intense... for example when climbing stairs I have no trouble lifting the knee nor planting it on the next step... I have no problem driving through the knee to raise myself up to the step... however at the top of the movement just prior to the leg reaching full extension I experience a sharp medial knee pain... this pain stops as I pass through this point to reach full extension. My Physio is not keen to investigate too deeply as it is only 6 weeks since ACL reconstruction but to me my problem does not feel associated with the surgery.
I've searched everywhere and not found anyone experiencing the same symptoms. Does anyone have any experience or any idea what could be causing the pain.

Offline Jimbojetset

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Sharp Medial Knee Pain
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:00:42 PM »
Oh well... guess I'll have to hope it fixes itself. :(

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 01:43:21 AM »
Could just be some inflamation causing some 'impingement'? Could also be breaking up some scar tissue thats formed? Hard to know for sure. If it persists, I'd ask you doc at your follow-up appointments. I've found that in the first couple months after surgery, PT's and Docs are hesitant to 'diagnose' new aches and pains, as they truly don't know if it is a problem, or just an angry joint from surgery. Time is the best measure with things like this as it will become more isolated if it persists at all.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline DebraJean

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 02:05:36 AM »
I 2nd allyd. I had a MPFL recon end of Nov. and I have had sharp pains in a couple different places. Freaked me out! OS just listened and then said " give it time to heal. Use it but be kind to it.".  Not the answer your looking for but I can understand your frustration.

Offline Knuckleheadz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 12:04:26 PM »
Hi Jimbo.... this is 2 years later so so I am hoping you read this.

I have the EXACT same problem as you and I too feel it is nothing to do with the surgery... 11 weeks since my ACL reconstruction (hamstring graft)...

Did you Doctor/Consultant establish what it was and how it was treated?

As a separate comment - would an administrator be happy to send Jimbo an e-mail to his regustered e-mail address on my behalf to see if we can contact him?

Offline Knuckleheadz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 04:05:46 PM »
it would be wonderful if someone could get in contact with the original poster if possible.