Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Surgery and the oral contraceptive pill  (Read 1748 times)

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Surgery and the oral contraceptive pill
« on: July 31, 2014, 06:12:54 PM »

Hi
I'm due to have surgery on my knee in September after waiting 30 weeks for a surgery date on the nhs.
I have been told today that I could of had a sooner date but I needed to stop taking my contraceptive pill 6 weeks before and no one had bothered to tell me this.

Has everyone else who the contraceptive pill applies to had to stop taking it this long before the op date?

I'm due to have a mpfl reconstruction and a Tto, to help with patella instabilty and patella maltracking.
Has anyone else had these procedures? I'm just wondering how recovery has been and what improve they have gained, and why they were given the procedure.

I look forward to your replies
Thanks Emma  :D
Fall whilst kickboxing aged 14yrs (2000)
subluxations >10 over 15 yrs
MRI scan: 12/13
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty

Offline tinydinosaur

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 19
Re: Surgery and the oral contraceptive pill
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 08:14:26 PM »
i don't take the pill but i did have to stop my antihistamines and decongestants two weeks before surgery, decongestants affect your heart and can have an effect with anesthetic, i'd assume something similar might happen with the pill - they do have reasons for it!

MPFL is a 'major' knee surgery, i was non-weight bearing and locked in a 3/4 leg brace (thigh to calf) for a while. it might be different for you though, i had (and still have) severe quad wasting so my surgeon may have specified a longer NWB time because i don't have the leg strength.

the most important thing with any surgery i've found is staying on top of icing that sucker,  a cryocuff is the best thing in the world when you've had surgery, it really helps in pain control.

the surgery fixed my severe tracking issues of my kneecap, which is why i was recommended it, after having had a plication which allowed me to regain some leg muscle.

good luck!

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 375
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 08:27:38 PM »
The oral contraceptive pill is a high risk factor for clots (deep vein thrombosis), so is knee surgery (especially something major and with a large open incision of the type the OP is having), so this will be the reasoning for stopping the pill in advance of the surgery
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 10:36:54 PM »
Thank you tinydinosaur and vickster.

Hospital aren't really explaining a lot to me re the procedure or the pre op information.

They have told me I can choose the surgery I have either mpfl reconstruction alone or a mpfl and a Tto.
I have patella instabilty which the mpfl will help and the maltracking which might b helped with the mpfl but maybe better off with Tto also.

Thanks again for your replies 😃

Fall whilst kickboxing aged 14yrs (2000)
subluxations >10 over 15 yrs
MRI scan: 12/13
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 06:53:43 AM »
Hi ema_b85:  Yes the contraceptive pill should be stopped 6 weeks before your surgery as Vickster said, to avoid DVT.   Anything containing aspirin is 7-10 days ahead.  I know several patients who had a similar surgery and this was important.   Good luck with your surgery.    LAS

support