Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Walking after meniscus repair  (Read 2499 times)

Offline taylordeann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Walking after meniscus repair
« on: July 30, 2014, 08:24:21 AM »
I'm a 16 year old girl who has been cheerleading competitively since I was about 12. Recently I had an injury while tumbling that which lead to the ER, with them telling me it was a bruised meniscus. It healed quickly but on certain activities my knee kept popping which lead to staying off of it and icing it. I went to an orthopedic practice, had an MRI which showed I had a horizontal tear on my meniscus in my right leg. I had orthoscopic surgery Friday the 25 and it is now Wednesday. He repaired the tear with 3 hooks and he told me to stay off of it for 6 weeks. I start school next week and being on crutches will be a mightmare. I was wondering if I can manage the pain if it would be okay to walk on it by next week?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Walking after meniscus repair
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:12:39 AM »
Responded on your other post
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 01:51:39 PM »
Hi taylordeann:  If the surgeon told you to stay off of it for 6 weeks or so then that's what you have to do.  They repaired the tear instead of shaving it down probably because you are so young and active.  The fact that they could save your meniscus by repairing it is great.   You want to keep your meniscus as long as you can.   It takes time to heal a repair.   I would not do without the crutches until your Dr. gives you the green light to do so or you may end up messing it up especially at school trying to get class to class. It can be a long day If you don't use the crutches.  Lots of the time the school will make an allowance for a students who have a medical need.  You could talk to a guidance counselor to help you with a short term program for 6 weeks or so.   I'm sorry this had to happen to but you but it does sound like your on your way to recovery and hopefully you will be back cheerleading ASAP.   LAS

Offline Alcb4

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 07:30:23 AM »
Hi,

I had a Medial Meniscus repair last year, like you I was on crutches for 6 weeks.

Mine was sutured, if you put weight on the leg it could be enough to rip the stiches/hooks, the knee needs time to repair and bond over the hooks. The meniscus is a very important part to the knee, if cut instead of repaired you could walk tomorrow but then have a higher chance or arthiritis later in life. Because of the position it doesnt get much blood flow which is why it takes longer to repair.

In the mean time you could try supplements, not totally proven but I thought any help is good help, glucosamine and chrondroitin, and fish oils; omega 3+6 are both meant to be good for joints.

6 weeks feels like forever, and will take its toll of your hands, back and make you feel tired. Towards the end even getting a glass of water is a chore. But you need to think about the rest of your life, in which 6 weeks is nothing.

Make sure you keep up with your physio on the crutches, otherwise then your muscles deteriorate quickly and it'll take longer once you can walk.

good luck
Al
2013/06 - RK MMr bucket hand tear
2014/02 - return to sport no problem
2014/07 - RK ACLr hamstring graft (MM all good !)

Offline taylordeann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 07:29:41 AM »
Thanks for the help guys! And if I was to walk on it? I know the chances of not allowing it to heal and could damage it are high, but could I walk on it if I really wanted to? As you can tell I sound very anti crutches.

Offline Alcb4

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 08:26:50 AM »
so if you weight load your knee there is a chance the hooks/stitches will rip apart so then the meniscus won't heal (properly).

Rest, unfortunately is the best medicine in this case.
2013/06 - RK MMr bucket hand tear
2014/02 - return to sport no problem
2014/07 - RK ACLr hamstring graft (MM all good !)

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 08:34:36 AM »
If you won't use the crutches, then you need to get a wheelchair.  You really must stay off it.  It's tough but necessary

If you are really so anti crutches, you should have discussed this with the surgeon before he went to the effort of repairing your meniscus (which was evidently the right thing to do for your knee and its continued health given your active lifestyle) :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:48:41 AM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline cahiker

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 07:52:32 AM »
You'd be absolutely crazy to walk on it!  You're 16.  6 weeks of your life to protect the health of your knee for the rest of your life is nothing. 

Just look at some of the signatures of the other members of this site and note the number of procedures people have had on their knees throughout the years.  Knee surgery is serious and has serious consequences on your ability to move, your level of daily pain, and your quality of life.  Protect your knee at all costs.

I wish I had your chance to get a good result for my knee.  I was not given that chance.  My surgery should have been straight forward and "simple"; however the surgeon performed an unnecessary procedure in addition to the necessary one (which was not done well either, unfortunately), and I had a horrible outcome and now have chronic pain and dysfunction, and there is nothing that can be done to fix it.  I was very active, hiking, biking, running, skating, etc., and now anything beyond walking (which is itself painful) is out of the picture.  Don't throw away your chance at a good result!   

It sounds like your surgeon is trying to give you the best result, follow his advice and make sure you get the best result for your future!

support