Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Extensive Hoffa's Fat Pat Scarring  (Read 1189 times)

Offline laxknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Extensive Hoffa's Fat Pat Scarring
« on: July 30, 2014, 09:45:48 PM »
This board has been immensely helpful to browse and scour for information before I had ACL surgery in March 2014.

I have extensive scarring of Hoffa's fat pad and  my OS says that I need to undergo scar removal surgery. He says its a quick 5 min procedure and I should be able to walk the next day. Here are my questions:

1. What is the recommended post op care to avoid scarring again?
2. How aggressive does PT need to be? Which exercises should I focus on?
3. Can I really be weight bearing the day after surgery?
4. How quickly will I be able to go back to work?

Thanks!

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Extensive Hoffa's Fat Pat Scarring
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 10:08:33 AM »
Hi There,

From personal experience of problems with my fat pad and medial plica I can give you some advice. November 2009 I had my medial plica removed and my fat pad trimmed that were both inflamed causing catching inside my right knee. I have not had to have ACL reconstruction surgery, however I am 2 weeks post op after having to have a second scope to remove excessive amounts of scar tissue that can often occur after medial plica excision and fat pad trimming!

As regards to your list of question I and the majority of KG Members are not experts on knee problems, we can just can give advice from our own personal experiences of knee problems.

1. What is the recommended post op care to avoid scarring again?

Always listen to the instructions and advice and guidance given by your OS and PT and try should take it easy for the 1st couple of weeks post up. By all means keep on top of your PT in moderation and ice and elevate your knee to reduce the swelling by using rice, ice, compression and elevation (RICE) this should help reduce any new scarring from forming.

2. How aggressive does PT need to be? Which exercises should I focus on?

I would not like to give you advice as everyones knee surgery recovery varies and would go and see your PT who will know how hard to push or not push PT and depends on what PT strengthening exercises you are doing.

3. Can I really be weight bearing the day after surgery?

Again ask your PT or OS; if you are only allowed to partially weight bearing then you would have left the hospital on crutches. I had a large amount of scar tissue removed and walked out the same day without the aid of crutches.

4. How quickly will I be able to go back to work?

Depends on the job that you are doing and how each patient recovers from their surgery and the type of surgery they have had done. Usually 2 to 3 weeks none manual labour jobs and up to 6 weeks plus manual labour job.

When you do go back to work do not be shy to RICE at work as you do not want to have scar tissue forming. I went back 2 weeks post op after my 1st scope and paid the price working as a golf course greenkeeper. I then developed arthrofibrosis that can be hard to totally eradicate.

Good luck, I hope I have been of some use to the questions you wanted information about.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming