Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: knee brace and driving  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Jockey6

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee brace and driving
« on: July 29, 2014, 07:22:31 PM »
Hiya im 18 and I fractured the top of my tibia and had surgery on it 5 weeks ago, I have my cast took off and a brace put on next week, I was wondering how long it will take me until I will be able to drive once the brace is on? as I really need to get back driving as soon as I can?

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Re: knee brace and driving
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 03:49:26 AM »
Hi Jockey6:  Are you weight bearing now (able to put your foot on the floor with weight) or are you getting around on crutches and non weight bearing. Are you able to bend your knee at all?

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: knee brace and driving
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 06:59:15 AM »
There is no hard and fast rule, other than ask your surgeon and/or your physiotherapist. When you have their permission, you are covered by your insurance. If you drive without their permission and have any kind of accident, your insurance will most likely not cover your costs. This could include the third party costs, i.e. the costs of any person(s) you injure, or property damaged during the accident.

As for driving with a brace, it ain't the most comfortable thing in the world, but impossible, no it is not. I drive quite often wearing my brace(s), but I try and keep it as short as possible.

What I do (did) after each of my operation was to get someone to drive me to a big supermarket car park and I practised all the manoeuvres I knew would cause me problems. I also practised emergency stops, trying as far as possible to make them as real as I could - friend banging the dash with their hand and having to stop on a sixpence, that sort of thing.

The return to driving depends on 2 things really - which leg is affected and whether you have an automatic or not. As I live in the mountains, I don't have an automatic (stick shift gives better control in snowy conditions), so when my right leg was involved it was ages before I could drive. When my left leg joined the party, I was able to return to driving much faster as I only needed to use it for clutch control.
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee