Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Return to Football/Soccer  (Read 546 times)

Offline Pablo89

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Return to Football/Soccer
« on: July 28, 2014, 12:49:35 PM »
Hi,

I had ACL reconstruction on my right knee on the 12th of August 2013, I am wondering when I can play football again, Physio has been going well and Im working on condition and control of the knee. I have been play badminton and tennis 2 - 3 times a week.

I'm dying to play football again!

Thanks

Offline Alcb4

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Return to Football/Soccer
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 07:45:42 AM »
I don't know the procedures for ACL (I'll find out in the coming months), but I had it with meniscus last year.

Ultimately talk to your physio and get a time scale and advice.
If you do return, start slowly, my PT told me to kick with my good knee as much as I can to improve stability on my bad knee.
Start with training if possible, 5 mins, 10min, etc and build up to it. You need to work on turning/pivoting a lot to build up those muscles again.

Your almost at a year so I would think definately in the time scale, go do it, just take it easy!

From experience of my MMr, playing football instense once or twice a week is almost detremental to the knee. I think that was my eventual down fall when I got lazy and stopped the gym, swimming and cycling, then eventually it gave out again. So make so you keep a range of sports up!
2013/06 - RK MMr bucket hand tear
2014/02 - return to sport no problem
2014/07 - RK ACLr hamstring graft (MM all good !)