Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lack of flexion  (Read 507 times)

Offline bizzylizzie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Lack of flexion
« on: July 28, 2014, 11:25:23 AM »
A quick bit of background... I had stem cell cartilage repair surgery in April which had me in a straight leg brace post op. 2 weeks after I got an infection, ended up back in hospital having an arthroscopic wash out and iv antibiotics. That all cleared but when it came to taking the brace off and increasing flexion I really struggled. After a few weeks of getting no where my surgeon decided there was too much scar tissue. So last week he operated again to remove what he described after as loads and loads of scar tissue. I spent 5 days in hospital on a cpm machine and got to 100 degrees flexion on it and 85 degrees off it. However this was agony and really involved forcing the joint. Under anasethetic my surgeon got 110 degrees flexion.
Anyway I have been off the cpm 2 days and out of hospital a day and can now only seem to reach about 50 degrees flexion. This is agony and as far as I can seem to force it coz it just doesn't seem to want to budge any more. I am of the mindset no pain no gain and it's not the pain stopping me it's just like the knee won't budge.
I am now about ready to give up! The pain on flexion is horrific and I seem to going backwards! Does anyone have any advice of what I could do or could offer me any hope that one day my knee will bend like normal?!
I have been icing it regularly and doing the physio like every half an hour but obviously can't through the night like the cpm machine did but like I say the flexion is getting worse. I really am at the end of my hope with it