Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Why do most OS know little about plica issues or fat pad problems?  (Read 668 times)

Offline CarmenMc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I guess the thread title says it all.

Started having pain and swelling on medial side of right knee just below joint line back on may 3. Couldnt get in to see my os. Saw another one who said i probably had a torn meniscus. Had MRI June 9 after crappy pt that made entire knee swell brick hard. MRI showed mild chondromalacia patella, 1 cm lesion on center of fat pad, possibly due to injury/inflammation of infrapatellar plica. My OS keeps harping on the CP will ignoring the fat pad and plica. Seems from what I read, most OS, even sports medicine OS like mine, are not familiar with it. What gives?

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Why do most OS know little about plica issues or fat pad problems?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:44:48 PM »
Hi There,

I can relate to what you are saying that many OS's Sports Physicians & PT's are not that aware that soft tissue problems of the knee can cause numerous problems. I have had 1st hands experience of being a victim to having an exploratory scope done in November 2009. Pre op I was getting pain and discomfort in my right knee and even had the nerve to say I am imagining the knee pain and being immobile by not being able to run.

During my exploratory scope I my medial plica removed and fat pad trimmed! As soon as I woke up I could feel pain on the medial side of my right knee despite the pain killers given to me. Recovery was slow and knee never felt right again and for a reason as I did not realise I am more prone to forming scar tissue with AF.

I only know now as I just had surgery on July 18th that has now been 10 days ago. My OS has been excellent and know he has done what he can do to remove the excessive amounts of scar tissue by doing Anterior interval release as I was getting a lot anterior knee pain.

I hope new scar tissue does not come back to haunt me as it took 18 months to he back to full fitness and running that was short lived I was back to square one again unable to run as my right knee was far too painful!

I was not impressed that my PT was advising me to run through the knee pain! Finally after several months of PT realised knee was not improving so referred me for an MRI scan that showed unusual bone bruising and other problems inside my right knee! When I saw my OS he decided I need to have an exploratory scope done and that's when he did AIR on my right knee.

I agree more needs to be done to raise more awareness towards fat pad and plica problems that often can lead to Arthrofibrosis! I knew that medial plica excision and fat pad trim can cause AF as I am one of many victims, I hope my OS has done enough to stop it back coming again.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:49:05 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming