Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Question about patella tilt  (Read 550 times)

Offline CarmenMc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Question about patella tilt
« on: July 28, 2014, 12:30:56 AM »
 Merchant X-rays show that both of my kneecaps tilt down laterally and up medially.  Been dx with chondromalacia patella on both.

1. What can be the reasons for this?
2. Why do I have more medial pain? Rubbing on soft tissues?
3. Has anyone had success with a brace for this, or taping?
4. Any other treatments?

Thanks,
Carmen

Offline OSVictim

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Question about patella tilt
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 02:11:40 AM »
Believe it or not, this is probably normal. You can look up my post on the nightmare that I have been living the last 2 years as a result of surgery to supposedly fix this. If both your knee caps sit like this, that is probably normal for you. 
There are all sorts of variables at play here. I too, had some medial pain, and the OS said I needed a lateral release and patellar realignment more to the medial side. It didn't make sense to me, but they insisted that doing those surgeries would fix the pain. 2 years after the surgery,  the original pain is worse, but the pain and loss of functionality from all the procedures they performed is exponentially worse and crippling. I would love to just be back to where I was pre surgery.
Pre surgery, I used a j brace that seemed to help. After all that I have been through, I  would say see a good sports medicine doc who may be able to prescribe non surgical way forward.
Aug 2012: Rt Knee Arthroscopy/debridement, Lateral release
TTT/open Fulkerson tibial osteotomy
Aug 2013: Hardware removal (TTT)
Nov 2014: LPFLr, MPFLr, Distal Tibial  Osteotomy/derotation, Gastrocnemius lengthening, Rt Leg
Apr 2015: fibula (Rt leg) plating, iliac crest bone graft