Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Left Knee Snapping  (Read 1054 times)

Offline hello2424

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Left Knee Snapping
« on: July 27, 2014, 06:38:58 AM »
Hello,

About a week ago the left of my knee cap has a bump that pops out when i bend or fully extend my knee out. It feels like something is going over the left side of my knee cap when it pops out and then back in at sitting position. My knee is not swollen and there is mild pain only if walking as the constant popping seems to irritate the area. Walking down stairs is the worst as whatever is popping out seems more rough.

I have seen my PCP and he is not sure what it is. He recommended icing and wall sits however I normally train legs and I don't think the problem is with muscle imbalance. Also as stated above my knee is not swollen and there is zero pain as long as i don't bend it. He has referred me to a orthopedic however that appointment is two weeks out.

I also want to note when I sort of press down  and left on my knee cap I can bend/extend my knee without it snapping. I have tried to google whats wrong however nothing matches my symptoms. Please anyone have any ideas?

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Re: Left Knee Snapping
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 05:40:01 AM »
Hi: Just got a chance to read your post this evening.   You probably have been to your appointment by now but I was just wondering if you might have  Iliotibial  Band Syndrome.  I know sometimes runners or long distance walking, or even just overuse can cause bursitis in the ITB.  It can cause the tendon (ITB) to have snapping and popping as well.  If you are a trainer you probably are aware of this.  Also mild pain over the outside of the knee is a common with ITBS.  I hope this helps and let us know what it is.   LAS

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 12:57:38 AM »
Hi again:  I should also mention that  my daughter is a runner and she has this condition.  Doesn't stop her form running  and never had surgery.   LAS

Offline laxknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 10:12:39 PM »
Hello, I had a similar problem (mine developed post op ACL). Turns out it was the Hoffa's fat pad that has extensive scarring. I've also read elsewhere about the fad pad impingement.

Taping the knee usually helps alleviate the pain.

If it persists, get an MRI. Surgery should be your LAST option (I've had some post op complications, so I usually advocate against surgery).