Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Big baby about patellar dislocation  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Feverfocus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Big baby about patellar dislocation
« on: July 27, 2014, 03:40:44 AM »
 I'm new here!  Hello from canada!

Just a bit of a history here:  about 5 or 6 years ago I was dancing terribly at a lame nightclub, when my patella dislocated.  I'm not totally sure what happened (pain blackout, not drunk!) but I think I might have gotten hit from the side by a flailer.  In any case, my patella did not reduce by itself, it was dislocated laterally for an hour or two before being reduced at the emergency room.  The X-rays did show a small fragment of bone had chipped off, but doctors I've seen haven't  been very concerned about it causing problems.  It's hard to remember the recovery process, but I think I was in a knee immobilizer for about two weeks, went to physio a couple of times.  A month after the incident I flew to London and spent the next two months backpacking Europe as originally planned, without incident.  I had a small knee brace with me but barely used it.  My knees have gotten sore at times In the past few years, but nothing terrible.

Fast forward to now:  a month ago I was at work when I slipped on a wet floor and dislocated my right patella again.  It went back in instantly.  I went to the ER, where X-rays showed no further bone fractures or injuries, and I was sent on my way with a new immobilizer.  I saw an orthopaedic surgeon a week later, who took X-rays to confirm no further bone damage.  He says I have ligamentous laxity, with a beighton score of 5 (not completely sure what that score means but I was glad for an explanation for why this is happening to me). I also have shallow sulcus.  He  told me to wear te immobilizer for three more weeks, which is where I'm at now.  Unfortunately, my follow up with the OS isn't for another week;  I don't want to wear the imobilizer for an extra week because I already feel like it's getting to the point where it does more harm than good (it makes my other leg hurt, my hips ache, gives me back pain, and sometimes my feet feel sort of swollen when I wear it).

In the meantime, before my follow up appointment, would you recommend I wear a smaller brace?

I have been weight bearing in my immobilizer and am able to walk (slowly and limpy) without it on.  I can bend it to about 80 degrees, with a bit of discomfort, and extend it completely.  I made a physio appointment for a couple of days after my next OS appointment.  My biggest issue, I think, is wit my confidence.  I can't seem to force myself to walk normally; it's almost like I've forgotten how.  Wihout the immobilizer on, I'm basically in constant fear that I'll step weirdly or someone (probably some child that a parent is letting run wild in the grocery store) will run into me and I'll end up dislocating it again.

Does anyone have advice on how to get back to my normal stride, and control this intense fear I'm feeling? I'm having a harder time getting "back on the horse" mentally this time around.  I'm also going on a (fairly expensive and non-refundable/changeable) trip in two weeks that will involve quite a bit of walking, and I want to be able to function as normally as possible (at my original appointment, the doc said I should be fine for the vacation)

I would greatly appreciate any input anyone might have to ease my mind.  I'm quite an anxious person and I feel as though this is taking over my brain and my life.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 05:09:52 AM by Feverfocus »

Offline Feverfocus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Big baby about patellar dislocation
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 05:06:23 AM »
Sorry if this is too long guys.  The gist:  after my patellar dislocation, I'm afraid/can't remember how to walk properly.

Offline kchan808

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 11:32:11 AM »
As a patella dislocater myself it is a very traumatic thing. I would recommend just taking your time and be careful wherever you walk I have tried all the braces and when I dislocated with a brace it actually made it worse because of the loose patella we have I have been wearing leg sleeves that cover from above ankle to thigh.'i think this has helped me get more confident because of the compression it makes it feel a little more stable. Give it a try. Stay away from unstable platforms, wet ground, and any lateral movements you should be fine good luck

Offline Millsy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 01:35:06 PM »
Hi Feverfocus,
As a fellow DISCOlator, I can understand your concern. It does get easier.
Maybe speak to your physio about showing you how to tape your knee up.   I found the braces with the patellar hole cut out in them the best, so not to put pressure on the knee cap and keep it generally in place.  But then I got shown how to tape them up. Depending which way your knee dislocates, laterally or medically, you pull it to the opposite way. Eg, mine dislocated laterally, so I started from the outside and pulled it in. My knees were too loose so it was only a bandied effect for me, but mentally it helped a lot.
Good luck, and I hope you can relax and enjoy your next holiday. Just don't go too hard or twist too rapidly, especially while your knee is still healing.

Offline Mvbinion

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 04:14:54 AM »
I dislocated to the point of needing a fulkerson. My suggestion is to follow drs orders to the letter! You don't want it to get worse! You do not want a fulkerson!

Immobilizers are horrible and they hurt. My back and other knee hurt and it hurts like all heck when it presses into the swelling BUT it's important to be patient! I've been in one 8 weeks now and will be for probably another 2 so I understand! Also not my first go round with one. Last time was 12 weeks.

Try to think long term.
Sorry

support