Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL replacement leading to CS, AF and possible ankle reconstruction or fusion  (Read 36757 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Hi Kristin,

It is good that your OS wants to carry out surgery this year rather than dragging it into the New Year. I know your ankle/foot surgery is a big surgery to be going through! You are bound to get pre-op nerves as you been through so many failed surgeries in the past!

It reassuring that you now have a good medical team trying to sort out how to go about treating your on-going foot/ankle problems. Surgery is not a nice procedure to be going through lets hope that this time round it is worth going through.

Good luck.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: ACL replacement leading to CS, AF and possible ankle reconstruction or fusion
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2015, 11:28:33 PM »
Any word yet on a surgery date and plan? I'm glad that things are continuing to move forward, but I can't imagine the frustration at how long it's taken to get here. I've never known anyone work as hard at self-education and self-advocacy as you have, and you deserved a better outcome long ago. Sending good thoughts as always for the next step.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 54
Re: ACL replacement leading to CS, AF and possible ankle reconstruction or fusion
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2015, 03:06:32 PM »
Thanks Snowy and Clarkey.

Sorry I don't come on here that often. I really want this next surgery to try to preserve what function I still have left and to stop further damage - arthritis or further tendon tears, from getting worse, but I'm more just resigned to having to have a last-ditch salvage surgery so I can get on with life with a forever damaged leg/foot instead of being hopeful like in the past when if doctors had listened, I believe I could have had a limb that functioned almost normally. One of the hardest thing is, that despite the fact that I have obvious damage from the compartment syndrome pressures that no one would release for me, I know that these same doctors that didn't believe me then still won't believe me in future if the compartment syndrome ever returns.

No date for surgery, but a few weeks ago I was told he was trying to schedule for the week of December 7-12, most likely on the Saturday. I would be kept in hospital at least overnight. I am going to call Friday to see if date confirmed yet.
12/31/08 - Skiing injury L knee
6/1/09 - ACL stump removed from joint
8/31/09 - ACLr - Hamstring Graft
12/21/09 - Ant Fasciotomy 
8/26/10 - Anterior Interval Release
12/6/10, 5/5/11, 12/22/11 - Fasciotomy
12/7/12 - Nerve Decompression
6/3/13(m), 7/29/13(l), 12/13/13(m & foot) 2/3/14(l) Fasciotomy

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2015, 03:40:03 PM »
Hi Kristin,

It sometimes a good idea not to come on all the time onto KG bulletin board as it only reminds you of your never ending problems. I hope you know the date of your scheduled surgery soon. It has been going on for too long now, I do hope the next surgery is a longer lasting fix then all the previous surgeries you have had to endure.

[email protected]
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2015, 05:59:09 AM »
I'm not a regular visitor either these days, but I do come back to check on your thread and a couple of others (Nick, yours included) to find out if there's any news or changes. I'm glad you'll be having the salvage surgery, but am more sorry than I can say that you didn't get the help you needed earlier. I really hope you're never in a situation again where you're having to try and convince sceptical surgeons that the pressure in your leg is rising to damaging levels.

I hope you get a date soon. I'll be thinking of you when surgery time comes.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2015, 09:25:23 AM »
Kristin I am not a regular visitor either but I suddenly wondered what was happening on your leg. I am so sorry you're facing a salvage surgery and I wish you'd been listened to more fully over the past years. This kind of complication after complication is so utterly exhausting and I do hope, that albeit this is a salvage surgery, you can get workable leg function and manageable pain. I too will be thinking of you when a surgery date is set, so do keep us posted.

Sending positive thoughts for this next stage.

Lottie xx
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2015, 02:15:53 PM »
Thanks guys for thinking of me. I did finally hear yesterday from the surgeon's office. Surgery is scheduled for December 9th at 11 EST. I will be admitted to the hospital that morning, but I guess depending on how surgery goes may either be kept overnight in observation or sent home.

From what I understand, I should be able to do low impact activities after this surgery. So I should be able to walk, hike and do day to day stuff without pain. That would be great. I wish I knew if the danger of doing more was pain or the screwed together bones popping apart. I don't plan on pushing it, but if I was to walk too fast to get out of rain, catch train etc., could my foot kind of explode? I have screws in bones now to hold ACL tendon in, but not to hold bones together.

I'm expecting the initial pain to be very bad. Two bones will be cut and screwed back together. Everything I read on calcaneal (heel) fractures emphasize the pain and I assume getting heel sawed off will be as traumatic. The peroneal  tendon fix/transfer will be soft tissue pain which will probably last longer than the bone pain. Hopefully bone pain while more intense, will end fairly quickly as bones heal.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #127 on: November 17, 2015, 04:44:58 PM »
Hi Kristin,

Good luck with your scheduled surgery on Wednesday 9th December a week after my Birthday on December 2nd. Hopefully if all goes well 2016 will be the year you can get your life back to normality once again with your family.

[email protected]

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2015, 05:30:06 AM »
So glad you finally have a date, and that you'll be able to return to some of the activities you enjoy free from pain. I hope they'll tell you whether higher stress activity is a risk going forward - the prospect of a foot "kind of exploding" is very scary! I can't imagine anything that involved sawing bones is pain free, but after seeing a friend go through TKR with almost no pain I hope that they'll be able to give you a pain management regime that will keep things under control until your foot heals from the initial trauma.

I'll be thinking of you on the 9th.

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2015, 01:09:11 PM »
Thanks Nick and Snowy. I saw my surgeon yesterday, but was too tired last night to write up the appointment. Over Thanksgiving, I was able to talk to my cousin's husband who I heard talking to someone else about having 2 screws in his foot, he also happens to be a physiatrist- rehab doctor. He told me that once bones healed, there was no danger of having bones pop apart and they would heal as strong as normal breaks anywhere. He says he can do all except pounding activities such as long jogs on pavement. Even then, would only cause pain. So my strange fear of exploding foot can't happen.

My surgeon walked through what his surgical plan will be. He will do an osteotomy of my heel and shift it over slightly to take some pressure off of the peroneal tendons to help stop subluxing. He will use same incision to add bone anchors to tighten my peroneal retinaculum and after repairing any tears, will cut my peroneal longus tendon and sew it to the brevis. He does not plan on grooving the bone. He will then cut into the bottom of my foot and completely cut my plantar fascia off of my heel bone. He said just releasing that should help the cavus deformity drop down. That is the area of my foot were muscles died from the compartment syndrome and then scarred and contracted causing the bone deformity. I asked if that might actually fix most of problems without bone work, but he said after bones being forced into deformity for over a year, probably not. He will then access remaining cavus deformity and cut into top of foot over ball of foot and do an osteotomy there and possibly another a few inches further up on foot if still needed. He wants to admit me to hospital, but insurance protesting, so at this time he can hold me there for 23 hours so won't be admit, to get me some strong pain relief.

I will be nonweightbearing for at least 6 weeks. I am trying to get house in order, wrap Christmas gifts and wrap son's birthday gifts before surgery. I'm glad he is fitting me in for surgery this year gif insurance costs, but I hate December surgeries. He made a comment that he can't promise that I won't still need another surgery after this one.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2015, 04:12:39 PM »
Hi Kristin,

It never a great time anytime of the year for surgery and December has to be the worst month of the year to have such a big and complex surgery that you will be enduring if you have a family to look after. My OS had mentioned as a last option doing an osteotomy on my right knee that is still not improving no matter how much PT I do for PFS!

It is a big surgery you will be facing and will be in the OR/OF for a lengthy time under GA. I researched it already and takes a time to do one osteotomy and your OS is talking about more than one osteotomy and possible future surgeries.

Good luck and happy Christmas to you and your family, you may not be in the mood to post so close to your surgery.

[email protected]

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #131 on: December 09, 2015, 04:34:03 AM »
Thanks Nick. The operating room has been booked for 3.5 hours, so it is a long surgery.

I have a half hour before it is midnight here and I have to stop drinking. I have to be at hospital at 9:30 for 11:30 surgery. (EST) I probably will be kept in observation overnight so won't post until sometime Thursday at earliest.

I hope you hear from your surgeon soon with the MRI results and a plan to fix your knee.

Kristin

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #132 on: December 09, 2015, 03:40:42 PM »
Hi Kristin,

Good luck with your surgery today that if I am right it is just after 15:30 in the UK so be 10:30 on the east side of the USA. 1 hour before your scheduled surgery slot and will be at pre-op right now getting ready for surgery.

Thanks for your message of support with my on-going right knee problems, hope to get my MRI result before the end of this week ideally, I will not get my hopes up too much. The NHS that are now known to be slow with the recent cut backs.

[email protected]

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2015, 02:10:38 AM »
Wow, that's quite the procedure. I saw on FB that you're out the other side - I have been sending you many good thoughts, and I really hope the recovery from this surgery isn't too lengthy or too painful. I also really really hope that you won't need another one afterwards. At least this time you have a surgeon who isn't afraid to take extensive action; that's a big change from some of your previous surgeries, and I hope bodes well for the outcome.

Take care and rest up as you start to heal.

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2015, 05:06:22 PM »
Thanks for thinking of me during this surgery. I ended up staying overnight in a part of the hospital that was definitely not staffed to handle someone fresh out of a painful surgery. (My roommate had surgery scheduled the next day but was getting blood transfusions throughout the night. She could get up walk to restroom herself, shower herself and walk to staff station if needed anything)  I got little sleep, did eventually get pain shots and couldn't wait to leave and go hom the next morning. I had to request a wheelchair to leave as the staff there thought I could just walk out.

Pain has not been anywhere near as bad as last foot surgery. It hurts and aches, but not as badly as it seems it should. Surgeon told my husband he was happy with surgery and had done everything he planned. Heel was cut and repositioned, peroneal tendon cut and transferred, bone anchors used to tighten retinaculum, bone at top of foot cut and repositioned to lower arch, plantar fascia cut off of heel bone, and an additional tendon needed to be lenhthened. I can't walk on it for at least 6 weeks as bone heals. It's going to be tough because level of pain makes me want to try walking on it now. It just doesn't hurt that badly. Taking Advil during day and Percocet at night.

I might rent a wheelchair so I can get out out to my son's games and concert. I would be afraid of losing balance on knee scooter in crowds of kids. A wheel chair could keep foot up when I get there too.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:12:38 PM by kcknee »

support