Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Started PT today!!!  (Read 19052 times)

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
Re: Started PT today!!!
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2004, 08:41:10 AM »
MHB,

Well, I can certainly understand how such a magic cane would help you dramatically!

In regard to the immobilizer being too large--be so careful when you are wrapping the ACE bangages. You don't want to constrict the leg so much as to increase your risk of bloodclots.  DVT can be deadly. I actually had more trouble keeping my ROM brace in place (you will probably get one soon--it has an adjustible hinge) than the immobilizer. Of course, the immobilizer had to be adjusted numerous times daily, as well.

Don't laugh but the thing that finally helped me keep the brace in place was the waffle-like, non-slip rubber shelf liner stuff that comes on rolls. I wrapped a strip of that around my thigh and then put the brace on.  It provided enough friction to make a difference.  

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline bummmmknee

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2004, 01:07:54 AM »
Hello.  I found that once I came out of the hinged brace it was hard to get used to walking period with cane or crutch, but what I did was I practiced with the cane in my house and when I would step with the sore leg I tried to squeeze my quads at the same time and visualize them and then it stopped that painful locking hyperextended stuff.  It takes a few days but it will stop going all the way back with a little bit of practice even with the crutch, squeeze the leg when you plant that foot and it will start to stay at a more natural place.  I still find my knee lunging foward though at times when I am not thinking as I walk, I hate that because why does it do that? It just keeps bending and I have to panic and catch myself and my heart is beating like 1000 times per second after that.  Is it my weak quads?  Is there anything that helps with weakness other than the leglifts and bike and walking? Would pool walking help more?   I am doing all kinds of stuff but no quad yet especially VMO.   How is everyone?  I am still working on keeping my ROM. I find I can only pull it so far on my own and the rest has to be forced by someone or something and it still hurts that last 5-10 degrees.

for MHB....Oh yes I was so glad to get out of the immobilizer and into the hinged brace! Sitting will be much better on you , it just takes getting used to because it is heavier BUT your leg does not feel wobbly in it like the immobilizer, to me it feels stable.  

Well its off to iceland for me bk my knee is killin me with all the rain we have here, it has been pouring for 3 days and why does my knee ache so bad when it rains guys?

talk soon love ya all

Kerrie
1/14/04 TTT w/LR left knee; malalighnment of both knees:multiple dislocations...home PT again, no funds!  ROM 136

Offline ByteSize

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2004, 01:48:19 AM »
MHB - Sorry, I didn't see your responses, and for some reason, the system isn't notifying me when people write to topics.... but it looks like everyone else has jumped into the fray, and given you good answers.

I'm continuing with the cane, over the weekend.  I find that my leg gets sore a lot easier, since I'm asking a lot more of the muscles, and putting more weight on my leg.  It's incredible to think that I was leaning so much on that one crutch, but I did see myself "listing to starboard" each time I would walk up to a building that had reflective surfaces.  So I will just "suck it up" and deal with the discomfort.

Had another PT today, one day earlier than my usual, because I'm going tomorrow to visit my daughter on her campus.  She is doing a presentation of a project (kind of like a thesis) that they have to do at her college in order to graduate, and her daddy and I want to be there.  She is also being inducted into an athletics honor society later in the afternoon, so it will be a big day for her!  Mom's just a LITTLE BIT proud!!!! 8)

So... today at PT they added another exercise, which is those famous wall slides I have been hearing about.  They had a ball which I put behind myself, so that there wouldn't be friction from the wall, and then I would go down into a half-squat, and then back up.  I was instructed to try and equalize my weight on both feet as much as possible.  I did two sets of 10, and it wasn't fun!  The first thing I noticed was a lot of snap, crackle, and pop, both going down, and coming back up.  Not to mention discomfort.  The PT heard all the noise, and made sure that it was coming from my knee, but didn't seem to concerned about it.  

Since they added that exercise, and also increased the weight on the leg press (and increased the height on the step-up exercise), I was a "hurting puppy" when I went back to work.  I hung in there until 3:00, but am currently at home in my recliner.

Tomorrow will be an interesting day, since  will probably have to walk a little more than I'm accustomed to.  Although I would like to rely upon the cane 100%, I'm taking along my crutch, just in case I tire, and need to revert to it.

Kathy
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 05:39:41 AM by ByteSize »
Fractured patella and surgery 2/3/04
Staples removed 2/25/04
PT started 3/8/04
Brace removed 4/13/04
Walking on one crutch 4/13/04
Walking on cane 4/30/04
Graduated from PT 5/26/04
Hardware removed 2/7/05

Offline bummmmknee

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2004, 10:13:51 PM »
Kathy and MHB,  

You should both be VERY proud! I did not realize it but it has not been very long at all since your patella fractures/surgery etc.. WOW .. I heard that is a big one to recover from.  You are both doing so good so soon, I have read up alot on patella stuff since my injury and surgery and you are really doing great!

As far as the steps, if you can do them normaly MHB and your OS says it will not injure anything then keep it up!  It will help later because I am now 14 weeks post op and still one steppin it at a time.  It will save the re-learning.    Well talk soon and take care !

Kerrie
1/14/04 TTT w/LR left knee; malalighnment of both knees:multiple dislocations...home PT again, no funds!  ROM 136

Offline ByteSize

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2004, 05:43:43 AM »
Well, I spent most of the day yesterday with my daughter, on her campus.  She did a great job on her presentation, and someone from the development office was there, and wants to carry the torch on from there, so Jeannie has actually succeeded in doing something that will benefit future students at her school.  I know it's off-topic, but I'm so proud... and then she was inducted into this honor society.  She is really finishing school with a bang.

Consequently, I was up on my feet more than usual, and walked more than I think I ever have in one day since my injury.  My leg has remained uncomfortable today, and I'm not sure that it's entirely due to having done so much yesterday, since my experience in PT on Monday.  There is currently swelling in my ankle, which doesn't make me happy!  And I didn't sleep too well last night, either, because of discomfort.

My usual pattern after PT is that I'm sore for the rest of the day, but after a night's sleep, I'm fine the following day.  Well, I will try to take it easy tomorrow (or easier), and see what PT has to say on Friday.

Kathy
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 02:12:21 AM by ByteSize »
Staples removed 2/25/04
PT started 3/8/04
Brace removed 4/13/04
Walking on cane 4/30/04
Hardware removed 2/7/05

Offline ByteSize

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2004, 05:49:14 AM »
I haven't written in a few days, because I feel that there isn't much more to add.  PT is going well, and rather routinely, I think.  They keep adding weight to my exercises, and today, added another exercise, which was on the leg extension machine.  That was certainly the most uncomfortable thing, since it put pressure directly on the kneecap.

The resistance on the recumbent bike now is enough that not only does it work the quad something fierce, but it actually gives me a little cardiovascular workout.  Of course, this bodes well for later on, when I actually will be able to walk, or ride a bike for exercise.  Eeek!  That sounds almost NORMAL!

I have family coming in on Thursday, for my eldest daughter's graduation, so things are just about to get busy around here.  But I'm looking forward to participating in all the festivities, and not having my "handicap" be the main event.  Now I'm pretty sure that the graduation will be the main event, as it should be.

I received a copy of my surgical notes, which were very interesting.  I understood just about everything in them (used to do medical transcription), and would consider posting them here, if anyone else was interested in reading them.

Just let me know.

Otherwise, the knee is sore, as it usually is on PT days, but I'm keeping on keeping on....

Cheers to you all!

Kathy
Staples removed 2/25/04
PT started 3/8/04
Brace removed 4/13/04
Walking on cane 4/30/04
Hardware removed 2/7/05

Offline ByteSize

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2004, 03:01:23 AM »
Just a little update... since I haven't been on here too much lately.  It seems like my life is taking over, and I haven't had too much time to catch up lately.

I went to what might be my last regular PT appointment today, and that is the good news.  More good news is that I finally have full ROM.  The main thing that we need to work on in strengthening, and that seems to be coming along slowly.  The main problem is that whenever my quad muscles pull on my patella, it causes some pretty bad pain in the bone.  Evidently, there are a lot of nerve endings in there, and it is a very sensitive part of the body (no kidding!)  So I can't really work it like I want to.

In any case, I have an appointment for Tuesday morning with my OS, and will get his opinion at that point in regard to starting a home program for the strengthening.  I already have one that my PT has written out, and will go through it over the weekend, and see how that works out.  If the doctor wants me to stay with the home program, I will go back to PT once next week after my doctor's appointment, and then a couple of weeks later, to see if the strengthening is working.  If it is, I will stick with it on my own.  If I'm staying too weak, we still have the option of doing more PT.

I'm still walking with a cane although am limping around the house for short periods of time without it.  A lot depends on how much the knee hurts.  When it is achy, I use the cane more.  And I always use it out in public.

So I'm getting there... just thought I would share the somewhat-good news with you all!

Kathy
Staples removed 2/25/04
PT started 3/8/04
Brace removed 4/13/04
Walking on cane 4/30/04
Hardware removed 2/7/05

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2004, 05:26:14 AM »
Hey,
I recently had my last official PT apt too. I used up my a 20 covered visits and was sent on to their aftercare program. It's really a good deal, just 35$ a month and I use their equipment at my convenience.
Congrats on the full ROM. ;D I'm almost there.
cat
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline ByteSize

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2004, 05:54:21 AM »
Well, it looks like I'm getting close to the end of my treatment plan for sure.  I saw my orthopedist today, and this will be the last time until September, when the plan is to have my hardware out.

He told me that I can lose the cane, whenever I feel like I'm ready.  (I don't feel that I am yet, although I hobble for short distances without it.)  I can exercise in whatever way I feel capable of, and should just let how I feel be my guide.  I will know when I have overdone it (amen to that!)

Tomorrow is my last PT appointment.  I have a home program that I am supposed to be doing 3 times a week, and I'm going in to let them know how it went, the one time I did it over the weekend.  (It went fine, my knee hurt, just like it does when I go in and have PT done professionally!)

So I guess I'm coming down the home stretch, but I have a lot of work to do on strengthening.  I did complain to the OS that it really hurts when I do any kind of extension against resistance.  It feels really bad across my kneecap, where the main break happened.  After I told him that, he grabbed my kneecap between his thumb and forefinger, and squeezed it REALLY HARD!!!  Ow, ow, ow!!!  It's still sore....  :-[

At any rate, I guess things are pretty much finished up here.  I have to say that by this point I thought that I would be feeling much more normal (i.e., less discomfort, walking normally perhaps???)

I should be a lot more excited, but am feeling that maybe this will be the hardest part, having to depend upon my own self-discipline.  

Anyone else relate to this?

Kathy
Staples removed 2/25/04
PT started 3/8/04
Brace removed 4/13/04
Walking on cane 4/30/04
Hardware removed 2/7/05

Offline bummmmknee

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2004, 07:48:45 AM »
Hey there! I can totally relate. I just went to my OS yesterday about that patella pain, he said there is nothing he or I can do , it just takes time.. the usuall answer I don't want to hear.  I too am doing it all on my own and it does suck.. I just wish someone could do something to make it go faster so I can get back to normal.  It is all up to us to build that quad ... and my OS said it takes a LONG LONG time to get it back like 10 times as long as it takes to loose the quads... that was very disapointing .. but atleast it is not totally our fault that we got wasted quads.  Keep working on them it will work. If I were you , I would not just do it three times a week... really do it everyday! It got me much further along than the 3 times did. I lost the cane and am actually using my knee to walk.  I still have ALOT of weakness and cannot do stairs, or other stuff but keep on trying... good luck and I hope you get better soon. Keep working that leg!

Kerrie

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2004, 05:46:25 AM »
I'm on "auto pilot"as well. No more insurance coverage for therapy so my therapist put me into their 'aftercare' program.
Too bad we don't live closer. We could all hit the gym together! Wouldn't we be cute, all of us limping around with our scarred knees? ;D
hugs,
cat
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline ByteSize

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2004, 11:37:57 PM »
Well, this is it.  I just went to a surgical supply place to get a decent ice pack, because the itsy-bitsy one that I have at home was like putting a frozen brick on my knee.  If I can ice it down real good, at least I have some incentive to work it out hard.

After a lot of hard thought, I have come to the conclusion that what has the most potential of holding me back from strengthening my quads is the fact that any extension against resistance hurts.  It's not the fact that I will have to work hard... it's that it hurts!

I'm thinking that since there are several of us that will be doing our own PT, I will start a topic elsewhere where we can share what we are doing in terms of exercises, what works, what doesn't, and support each other in our efforts.

Otherwise, this topic is kind of... well, finished.  I will still be checking back in here from time to time, in case someone replies, but otherwise, PT is over.  School is out for the summer, so to speak!   ;D

Anyway, I have enjoyed getting to meet you-all during this ordeal, and have very much appreciated everyone's encouragement and advice.  If you are in the same boat as I am, or would just like to float along with the rest of us, look for that other topic....

<hugs> to all,

Kathy
Staples removed 2/25/04
PT started 3/8/04
Brace removed 4/13/04
Walking on cane 4/30/04
Hardware removed 2/7/05

support