Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Please help. Knee getting worse!!!???  (Read 1405 times)

Offline nurseshark

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Please help. Knee getting worse!!!???
« on: July 25, 2014, 11:42:51 AM »
I'm an emergency department nurse so I have a good range of knowledge on this subject and a great pool of resources to get advice from. My problem is the advice seems to not be following.

On the 5th of May I was practising my jump spin kicks at kickboxing, the day after a big grading. My instructor wasn't happy with them, and even though my knee went he kept making me do them. My symptoms appeared later but there was no 'pop' and nothing cracked. I have full range of movement, no boney tenderness, and I can walk on my knee fine. When I got it examined by one of my department's consultants, he said it was an MCL sprain and should take 4 - 6 weeks to repair and that I should have a slow reintroduction to sports. I saw my occupational health physiotherapist at work and he said without a scan he can't give me a definitive diagnosis but said that it seems like my knees are quite unstable because my patellas ride laterally when I bend my knees on both sides (I hear a click when I bend my knees ever since childhood). He said to rest it and work on some exercises he gave me for strengthening my quads and core. My MCL no longer hurts. At the point of that physio appointment he said I only felt a little tenderness in a small area of my MCL so it was almost fully healed.

My kickboxing instructors made me work harder than I was comfortable with and although my ligaments feel fine my medial quadriceps is aching a lot lately. I have 2 weeks off from work and I'm spending it relaxing my leg with elevation.

What I want to know is:
1. Is this now a muscle strain?
2. How long for it to return to normal and be pain free altogether?
3. Are there any exercises I can do while it mends? I don't want to strain it further while I try and strengthen it!
4. Which pain relief methods have worked for others?
5. Although I have decided to take another month off kickboxing as I did to begin with, I have a long distance bike ride for charity to do in 5 weeks time. When can I start training for it safely?

Thanks!

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 367
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Please help. Knee getting worse!!!???
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 12:33:56 PM »
If other measures aren't working, it would be best to see a sports physiotherapist (probably privately) to get a proper exercise programme and avoid all strenuous activity for now - kickboxing must be very hard on knees at the best of time. 

Targeted stretching, swimming, gentle cycling (short distances, relaxed speeds, on the flat, spinning the pedals) would be what I would do

To return to normal, well in my experience (completely different), never it seems...

Pain relief, ice, heat, anti-inflammatories, paracetamol (and hyaluronic acid injections and stronger pain meds at times)

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline nurseshark

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 12:52:09 AM »
Going to the Royal Orthopaedic soon to see a senior physio about it. Recommended by my GP today. Have bought ice packs for the knee. When should I start these exercises? I've cancelled my bike ride, as my GP said it could take up to 8 weeks to heal. At what point can I start gentle exercise, and how prolonged should the build up be before full-on kickboxing?

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 367
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 01:08:52 AM »
Wait and see what the physio says. I would think swimming should be ok, gentle, crawl/backstroke better for knees than breaststroke
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support