Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Broken Patella in France - flew back to Australia for K band operation  (Read 414 times)

Offline All4shaz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi, I broke my patella in a number of pieces on the 16th June 2014 in France and was flown back to Australia for the Operation on the 19th June. The surgeon rejoined it with a wire K band tensioner?? (I think that is correct) and I was put into a Zimmer splint for 6 weeks. I am able to walk around home now without the zimmer splint and no crutches but need the splint and crutches when outside. I have a dressing on the wound about 2 inches wide and totally covering the wound and then over the top of that is a very tight water proof dressing which is about 10 inches long and 4 inches wide.
I have to exercise at home 1. quadriceps tightening 2. sliding leg in on floor to get bend and holding 3. lifting leg when straight to bend as much as possible. I find that the waterproof dressing seems to get as tight as possible and then I cannot bend any further... Is this normal???
I am now getting really intense tightening around the whole knee which wakes me up at night and I cant seem to relax it. This also happens during the day at various times. Is there any way I can relax this?
I am seeing the surgeon next week and having an XRay so hopefully he will have an answer but it is driving me nuts!
Any suggestions?