Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chondromalacia Patella ...Hope?  (Read 12976 times)

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
Re: Chondromalacia Patella ...Hope?
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
Hi Cycling Freak,

to answer your question, the spasms I'm experiencing are due to the fact that I walked very fast and intensly for months and months without proper warm ups before and after. So I think the muscles shortened and are firing like crazy to keep me steady as I feel the lateral side is pulling hard (IT band???) and the VMO is trying to catch up so the quad muscles are in constant spasm without me doing anything. After few weeks of stretching and doing squats, the muscles are now more relaxed and do not pull and fire as much as before so I think i'm on the right track.

Of the topic, here's a very interesting article regarding a cure for our problem, and as many call it "Holy Grail" for our problem. It's very new so I don't have more details about it but I emailed the company yesterday and am waiting for more news. By the way, is your chondromalacia patella or other part of your joint? How did you get it?

http://www.israel21c.org/health/good-news-for-knees/

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:26:41 PM by papasmurf1978 »
August 2014 MRI:
Mild Chondromalacia Patella in both knees
Normal cartilage thickness in both knee caps

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Chondromalacia Patella
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2014, 12:29:43 PM »
Israel is being a pain in the a$$ nowadays but I will check the article. My chondromalacia is on the patella. When the doctors examine my knee it hurts a lot when they press down on the area just above the patella. I had that examination yesterday and knees are full of inflammation atm.

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2014, 12:37:04 PM »
Actually, there is a lot of topic to discuss. One of them is tight quads. Tight quads are your biggest enemy. They cause all kinds of maltracking if it is tight on lateral side. If you have tightness on rectus femoris that makes your patella glued to the femur. Distance gets lower between the two bones and you are in pain even if you have good amounts of cartilage. You said that you have tightness but is it on the lateral side, it band or you have also tightness on rectus femoris? You can tell that by laying face down on the floor and trying to bring your heels to your butt. Do you feel a tension when you do that?

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2014, 12:38:49 PM »
Have you had MRI done on the knee? If so, what did they find? what grade?
I know Israel is a hot topic these days but science and war don't mix so I'm very confident that their science is top notch, no wonder Israel was awarded many many nobel prices in the past.
August 2014 MRI:

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2014, 12:48:09 PM »
I have 3 MRI's to date. Most recently 2 months ago. What can MRI tell you if they cannot read it very well. I mean the report says something but no word for chondromalacia. It just mentions lateral tilt, synovial fluid increase on suprapatellar pouch and medial meniscus posterior horn; grade 2 degeneration. Meniscus degeneration doesn't bother me much. It is chondromalacia killing me.

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2014, 12:59:27 PM »
so if they don't mention chondromalacia on mri, who diagnosed you with it. They should've found something on your patella to diagnose you with it. On mine, they found a little 6 mm large x 4 mm high signal on medial facet of patella which involves less than 50% of cartilage. that's it, I don't know if this is softening or a fissure it does not say, all it says is that it's compatible with chondromalacia patella beginner stage. I triet to bend down all the way while on my toes raised, and when I raised myself, I hear a crack in the knee, like crepitus or something. so would that sound like a cartilage damage?
August 2014 MRI:

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2014, 01:07:06 PM »
Physical examination. As I said there a spesific point which is aching when press down. Normally MRI is not needed to diagnose this. My knees also crack a lot when moving in different directions but it is not painful. I cannot say why it cracks. I am not an expert.

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2014, 01:14:59 PM »
I don't have pain when pressing down on patella, when my ortheo did the test there was no pain, he went with what MRI showed to diagnose me with it. Also is it possible tha softening of the medial side of patella cartilage can tilt the patella laterally? I have some irritation on lateral side of patella and my PT said it's titled a little so that's why it doesn't track perfectly and gets irritated
August 2014 MRI:

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2014, 01:22:14 PM »
You will not press down on the patella. Exact point is just above the patella where the quadriceps tendon attaches to the patella. I don't understand how can they tell softening actually. Can you tell if something is softened through looking at a two dimensional image? I think they go by the uneven distribution of the cartilage to say that.

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2014, 01:29:47 PM »
yeah he pressed above the patella, on the quad muscle and asked me to tightned my quad muscles. Yeah, I don't get how they can detect softening on MRI, perhaps with color distinguishing on the cartilage, soft would come up as lighter spot or something like that. I did have some pain in front of the patella but it's gone now so that could've been inflammation only or something like that. However, when I sit and my knee is 90 degrees down and I try to play gently with the patella moving it from side to side, it does crack a little, it's like if there's sand behind the patella, there's definitely something going on.
August 2014 MRI:

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2014, 01:34:17 PM »
When your knee is bend 90 degrees, your kneecap isn't supposed to move side to side. You should be only able to move your kneecap side to side when your knee is about 0-10 degrees.

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2014, 01:36:42 PM »
I'm just making a point that my correct knee has patella tight in the socket while the bad knee is rattling a little when I just touch it by the sides and try to just slightly move it side to side. It's not very steady.
August 2014 MRI:

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2014, 12:27:39 PM »
Hi Everyone,

just found interesting article that might be a hope for us chondromalacia patella sufferers:

http://www.israel21c.org/health/good-news-for-knees/

Let's hope it'll be available soon.
August 2014 MRI: