Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bilateral arthroscopy on Monday  (Read 777 times)

Offline heretolisten

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Bilateral arthroscopy on Monday
« on: July 23, 2014, 01:22:44 PM »
I have had 3 arthroscopies on my right knee and one on the left over the last 20 years.

My surgeon has told me that he has high hopes for the left knee and whilst I am under anaesthetic he will have a look at my right knee to see if it can be improved. The surgery is for a trim of the meniscus and clean out.

I am having this done next Monday and I am a bit concerned how I will be post op after having both knees operated on at the same time.

Has anyone had this procedure on both knees at the same time.

I am 63 by the way.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:36:09 PM by heretolisten, Reason: typo »

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Re: Bilateral arthroscopy on Monday
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 12:48:52 AM »
Hi:   I personally have not had both knees done at once but my brother-in-law has.  It was more difficult getting around because you don't have the un-operated knee to depend on.  You will depend more on the crutches than usual and   you won't be moving as fast with the crutches.  Definitely need more help at home for the first week with meals and things like that.  This is all providing that you are weight bearing after surgery.  After that you usually don't knee the crutches and you will be walking around pretty well.  You really have to take it slow for the first couple of weeks.   He  could get in an out of the car but couldn't drive for 2 weeks.   He did stairs in 3-5 days after surgery but was very slow at it.  A lot of it was the same as having one knee done as far as pain and medication.   But it is double the work recuperating.  PT will show you how to get around with the crutches.  Everybody is different with surgery.  You may just need the crutches at night after a couple of days.   Some need crutches for a week or so.  Same with medication.   So figure on a slow start but in 3-4 weeks you should be OK and well on your way to recovery.   Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.   LAS

Offline Zakspeed

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 07:37:29 AM »
Thank you Las ,I have just had this done 3days ago , difficult getting around the house and very sore , hoping it improves with time  :)
How long was before your brother- in-law recovered fully?

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 06:09:36 PM »
He went back to work in 4-5 weeks, doing light work  He owns his own construction co so he could get around the labor work.   He was able to do some labor work at 2 months if he needed to  but was not really completely healed until 3months or so.   He had this done in his early 50's.  It will definitely improve in time.  For the first two weeks you need somebody to fetch for you.   I hope your feeling better soon.   LAS

Offline Zakspeed

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 10:40:14 PM »
Thanks again LAS
I also have a midline disc protrusion of l5/s1 which isn't helping with the rehab for my knees. Will have to take it day by day for now .

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 11:57:21 PM »
taking it easy and one day at a time will be good or both your back and knees.  Lt us know how your are doing.    LAS

support