Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Help getting full-extension on non-operated, painless knee  (Read 647 times)

Offline David-S

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help getting full-extension on non-operated, painless knee
« on: July 19, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »
Hello,

Need some help from the experts.

I'm 35 years old with no history of knee pain, nor any knee traumas. I started using a standing desk earlier this year and noticed that my left knee felt a little stiff. I've never had a problem with it other than that it has always needed cracked a lot for as long as I can remember. (The first thing I do when I get out of bed in the morning is to quickly flex it to crack it. I end up doing this occasionally throughout the day when the knee feels "weird", usually when getting up from sitting.)

Most sources online seem to say that cracking in general isn't a problem if there's no pain. But it's very difficult for me to believe that it isn't a symptom of some kind of problem. So first I'd like to get thoughts on cracky/creaky knees. If I sit with my leg flexed 90 degrees and extend as far up as I can, the knee cracks every time about half-way through. Can't be good.

Recently I also realized that I can't get full extension. I'm maybe 5 degrees or so short. So I'm hoping to get some tips on what exercise(s) to do to fix this. I've seen several online but wanted to ask here if there are any usual recommendations. All the quad and hamstring stretching in the world hasn't fixed it. (I've been doing a lot of stretching in general over the last year.)

I can feel that my gait is weird on the left side. I don't know if this has always been the case and I didn't notice, or if I've somehow made the problem worse. But this whole thing is now scaring the heck out of me. I've an avid hiker and can't imagine not being able to walk later in life due to knee problems.

Any advice would be immensely appreciated!

-David

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Help getting full-extension on non-operated, painless knee
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 06:30:00 PM »
Have you seen a doctor or better a physiotherapist as it's been worrying you for a while?
It's generally best not to try to fix a troublesome knee without knowing what's wrong as you could make it worse

Joints do crack but any unexplained change should be investigated if you are worried as you are.  It may well just be muscle tightness if there is no pain or swelling but you need an expert to reassure you on that and give you a considered exercise programme tailored to you and your activities

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:31:31 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 04:07:44 AM »
If you can't get full extension than something is probably not right indeed.  Definitely get it looked at by a professional preferably an OS.   Sounds like your putting a lot of strain on your knee as well and I would back off a little to see if that helps.  Get an x-ray or an MRI if you can.  It helps to know what you are dealing with so you can prevent further damage.    Hope this helps.   LAS

Offline David-S

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 10:49:43 AM »
Thanks folks.

Who to go see has been a nagging question. I'd like to go somewhere with an MRI in-hand right off the bat. Do/Can PTs look at MRIs or an OS be a better first stop?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 01:00:22 PM »
Normally, a radiologist - the expert in reading imaging - will produce a report from an MRI which can then be reviewed by a physio or surgeon

Who to see first may depend on your country, healthcare coverage etc.  What country are you in?

An MRI is normally just one piece of the jigsaw, taking history and a hands on examination is usually done prior to MRI - need everything for a full picture, neither exam nor imaging is infallible (notably MRIs)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:01:59 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support