Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: A few questions after a bilateral partial meniscectomy, hope you can help  (Read 672 times)

Offline troy89

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi all,

3 days post knee arthroscopy, I had meniscus removed from my my medial and lateral menisci in my right knee and a parameniscal cyst removed, or at least that's what I think! So that's my first question is it normal in the uk to not see the surgeon afterwards or even a surgeons report. I see him in four weeks. I'm making the assumption to what I've had done based on the fact I have three incisions on my knee.

2nd question, I've just removed the bandages and noticed a large amount of blood had come from a small cut above my knee on the lateral side. This has healed so I'm not overly concerned but just wondered what it could be as it was not stitched like the other three. Could be an sccident or related to the procedure?

Final question, what's a realistic timescale for decent range of motion. I can almost fully extend my knee but flex ion is poor,

Many thanks in advance

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Hi Troy89:  A large amount of blood from any wound is not normal.   Especially if it leaked through the bandage.   Hopefully they sent you home with instructions.   I would talk to the surgeon if possible or get a message to him before 4 weeks.   If you have sutures they should come out in 7-10 days and perhaps it could be discussed at that time.  I'm not sure what you had done.  That should of been discussed before the surgery and no matter what country you are in the doctor should talk to you after the surgery unless you were not alert enough to remember that.  Sounds like you had more than one problem going on and if your having concerns you should contact your doctor.  That would make sense anywhere.    Hope this helps.   LAS

Offline troy89

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Thanks for your reply,

Yes I am rather surprised at not seeing the surgeon, but when I asked the nurse she just said it was normal not to see him or notes and that I should ask my gp to see if he gets a report!

I am having the stitches (sutures) removed on Wednesday so I will ask gp about the fourth incision. As I say it has healed now so I'm not overly concerned just wondered why it had not been stitched!!

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
I am not familiar with techniques in he UK.   For a partial meniscectomy I have only heard of no more than 3 small incisions and most of the time there are two small incisions made.   Once the meniscus is repaired or removed  a meniscal  cyst will usually take care of itself.   That fourth incision not sutured is interesting.  Maybe they had to make another incision to get a better look at what is going on.  It may be possible that you tore the sutures moving around.   I just can't imagine that they forgot to suture it.
you won't have complete ROM for a couple of weeks.  The physical therapy will help with that.  Remember you had work done on both sides of the knee so it may take longer than having one side or the other done.    I am curious so please let us know.   

support