Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Morning Knee Pain  (Read 958 times)

Offline lorriejo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Morning Knee Pain
« on: July 15, 2014, 10:58:05 PM »
Hi all, just new here - each morning when I wake I have extremely painful knees, so bad that I can barely get out of bed.  This has just started.  I have not been to the doctor yet.  Once I am up and moving around it gets better but it will get worse at certain times of the day.  Any suggestions?  thanks in advance.

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Re: Morning Knee Pain
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »
Hi Lorriejo:   Sounds typical for some osteoarthritis  going on in there.   I don't know how old you are or what you do for work.  These factors do play a role.   Your activity level and weight have a lot to do with your pain.  I would see an expert and get some advice.  For now you could try some straight leg raises before you get out of bed or some foot pumps (as if you were pressing down on a gas pedal).
I don't know if you can tolerate anti-inflammatory medication,  if you take it before you get out of bed, it may help taken with food to avoid stomach upset.   You really should see a therapist or a OS because it could be just a simple life style change.   Hope this helps.  LAS

Offline lorriejo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 09:20:09 PM »
Hi Las,
Thank you for your reply - I am 48. I work in an office, so a lot of sitting during the day.  I do a bit of biking and lots of walking.  Thank you for your suggestions.  I will definitely look into them.  thanks again for your reply
Lorrie Jo

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 12:31:26 AM »
Also another exercise that helps is in the morning before you get up is sit on the side of the bed with your feet on the floor and raise your leg  so that it is straight and let it down.  Do about 3 sets of 15 each knee. This warm-up has helped me in the past so that I was not staggering in the morning. Also sitting at a desk all day  is not that good for arthritis.   You should get up and move around when you can.    LAS

Offline lorriejo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 06:59:21 PM »
Hi LAS, I do try to get up as much as I can during the day  :) although sometimes that is difficult to do as I get busy and then my knee stiffens up quite a bit.  I will try your suggested morning exercise both in the morning and if I am feeling any stiffness/pain at my desk.  Thank you so much for your suggestions, I really do appreciate it.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 369
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 07:21:01 PM »
Can you roll your foot/feet back and forth on a ball under the desk to keep it moving?

Next step, see a doctor, get a diagnosis and treatment plan :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support