Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Broken Patella  (Read 539 times)

Offline Hondo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Broken Patella
« on: July 15, 2014, 08:36:22 PM »
Discouraged! On January 8th I fell on ice and broke my patella into two pieces and damaged tissue around my knee joint. Had surgery on January 14th--they used two pins and wiring. Kept knee in mobilizer for 10 weeks per instructions from doctor--was only to put full weight on injured leg while in brace. Started physical therapy approximately two weeks after surgery, doing minor exercises. As you all know, the physical therapy was horrible. It hurt so bad to try and bend my leg that I would cry just thinking about going to therapy, especially to sit in "The Chair", which was a weight lifting chair trying to bend my knee. Eventually, the therapist took over physically bending my knee and it still hurt horribly but was much better than The Chair. On May 12th, the doctor did a second surgery to remove the wiring and do an MUA. He said when I went in to surgery I was at about 30 degrees and he got about double that in surgery. He said he was afraid he was going to break something if he went any farther. Now, six months after the break, I am at 93 degrees; however, I am much farther when I lie on my stomach and the therapist bends it that way -- he said usually its the other way around. Not only does the therapist work on stretching my knee, my husband does in the evenings and probably gets farther than the therapist because he apparently doesn't mind listening to me scream. :) Seriously! At this point, I think I will be happy if I can make it to 100 degrees. Has anybody else been in this situation? I have begun using the elliptical and treadmill at the gym. The elliptical feels awesome! I have a really bad limp and was hoping these exercises would help with that. I feel like that's all I've done for six months is exercise and stretch my knee.  I would appreciate any advice from someone who has had a similar break and trouble getting ROM. Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:25:32 AM by Hondo »