Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How bad are PRP Injections?  (Read 694 times)

Offline Szak_007

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
How bad are PRP Injections?
« on: July 15, 2014, 02:49:17 PM »
I'm scheduled to have PRP injections tomorrow. My chiropractor told me that he has heard from all of his patients who have had it done that it is very painful. After looking up patient reviews of the procedure I am really nervous because everyone has said it is horrific. I also have a huge issue with needles after having 100+injections already in my knee and a poorly administered nerve block. Anyone ever had PRP before? How was it, honestly?

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
Re: How bad are PRP Injections?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 03:46:59 PM »
Personally I am a PRP addict... Had about 12 so far and counting (plus others of HA and stem cells), intra-articular for arthritis (cartilage and meniscus tears)... it brought me back from the dead (that is from months on crutches) to normal walking pain free.

About your questions, it depends... I have had them very painful and had some that I barely felt. It all depends on administration technique, such as position, size of needle, etc. It also depends on what kind of administration is delivered (just filling the joint space, or messing around with ultra sound to on spot delivery, which is terrible).

Note that I never did it with anesthesia, all of them were clean.

Currently, me and my doctor, who is really cool, we have been practicing for so long, that we been developing a method, where I just feel a pinch and it's all over in 3 to 4 seconds. Actually we have 2 methods, one for infra-patella and one for the lower compartments. Both are very comfortable.

I have noticed that pain, is caused mostly by 2 factors:

1) Needle movements, if the needle is thin and the doctor is able to hold it stable, pain is small. If he decides to mess around with on spot deliveries... or if he has poor coordination on his hands... well good luck...

2) Your position. A lot of doctors put patients in a typical (well stupid) position, where the knee is under tension, patella tendon and all those strings that spread around and tense, and if you are not in a relaxed position any needle motion hurts.

For lateral or media compartment, I now sit in chair, not in a table, my leg is totally relaxed and the doctor kneels and injects it into the knee like that... (this is a very resumed explanation of the method), but it becomes very comfortable... just a little pinch when the needle goes in, then barely feel it until the needle comes out...

For tomorrow there is not time to explain the method, but if it hurts and if your doctor is open enough to try a different approach I can explain it better and send images, about position, angles, etc.