Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New to the forum/major knee trauma  (Read 2832 times)

Offline scottyleighton

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New to the forum/major knee trauma
« on: July 14, 2014, 03:57:44 AM »
21 days ago I was on the beach with my best friend. He had sprained his ankle and I offered to carry him. He is 240 lbs and I was 200. About half way through carrying him through the beach I stepped into a hole and my knee went backwards until basically everything gave out, so much so that both of us audibly heard it. Mri results showed I had torn my acl, pcl, lcl, meniscus, hamstring, calf, and mcl. The radiologist said to my would be surgeon that in his 30 years he had never seen a knee as blow apart as mine. It took a while to find a surgeon who would agree/was qualified to operate on me. And if that wasnt bad enough I most likely also severed my peroneal nerve as I have had drop foot ever since the accident. I am 24 years old and have been an athlete my entire life. My first surgery is the 24th of this month but I'm sure I will have some questions after.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:25:20 AM by scottyleighton »

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: New to the forum/major knee trauma
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 12:30:33 PM »
Welcome to the list & wow, what a whole lot of damage you've done. And what a long road ahead. I think you'll find this forum a good place for answers as the need arises. Wishing you well.
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 12:35:44 PM »
Oh my, you didn't left anything in one piece...

There are many injuries where you have injury to 2 or 3 parts... but this is a lot...

Welcome to the forums, you will have a long recovery process ahead, these forums will certainly be useful to you.

Offline scottyleighton

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 03:08:15 PM »
Welcome to the list & wow, what a whole lot of damage you've done. And what a long road ahead. I think you'll find this forum a good place for answers as the need arises. Wishing you well.

Thank you. I'm sure I'm in for more than I know. Up until this injury I've never had a knee problem. Freak accident really. I just can't wait to be somewhat on the upside of surgery.  First one is supposed to be 5 hours

Offline Jellybean

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 03:36:08 PM »
Dear god that sounds horrible. I still have chills from reading it. I hope your surgeries go well and you're handling the pain ok. Keep us updated.
11/12 MRI dx damage to articular cartilage with patellar mal-tracking
3/13 right knee lateral release, meniscetomy, chondroplasty of patella
09/13 Knee condition deteriorated. 3rd round Intense physical therapy
08/14 Fulkerson Osteotomy

Offline scottyleighton

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 03:52:58 PM »
Dear god that sounds horrible. I still have chills from reading it. I hope your surgeries go well and you're handling the pain ok. Keep us updated.

Thank you I hope so too. It's only been 3 weeks but compared to the first week the pain has been manageable. I started pt last week just to breakup scar tissue before surgery. Nothing too intense but it actually has helped.

Offline rnm37

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 12:11:47 AM »
Agree with the previous posters, that is a right sore one you've taken indeed and all the very best in your recovery.

If you're looking for inspiration, you might be interested to read about the footballer David Meyler. He, like you ruptured every ligament in his knee and was initially told he would never walk properly again (he had already had an isolated ACL tear to that knee). That was 3 years ago, and earlier this year he played in the FA Cup final for Hull.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/david-meyler-starts-comeback-injury-1404641

Wishing you well,

Ross
June 2012 - ACL rupture and lateral meniscus tear

December 2012 - ACL recon (hamstring autograft) and meniscus trim

October 2013 - Retore ACL and tore medial meniscus :(!

January 2014 - Revision ACL recon (hamstring)

Offline scottyleighton

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 12:48:13 PM »
Thank you and wow that's incredible. I'm sure I'll be reading it again after my first surgery. To be playing again in 3 years at that level is amazing. I'm a basketball player but out of fear of blowing my knee out again once it's fixed I've decided to retire and pick up another sport\hobby. That is if I can run again.

Offline rnm37

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 04:34:37 PM »
Never say never to anything but there definitely is a long road ahead for you unfortunately! One step at a time is the best way to take things but I can safely say this is the worst injury I've read about on this forum in 2 years. What kind of healthcare to you have access to? Have you discussed with the surgeon how he is going to approach things? What is getting fixed first, are you letting your calf/hamstring heal first before being operated on etc?

Keep posting and all the best!
June 2012 - ACL rupture and lateral meniscus tear

December 2012 - ACL recon (hamstring autograft) and meniscus trim

October 2013 - Retore ACL and tore medial meniscus :(!

January 2014 - Revision ACL recon (hamstring)

Offline scottyleighton

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 05:06:09 PM »
Thanks and I know I have a long road but I'm just gonna rehab as hard as I can after my surgeries and see where that takes me. I have anthem blue cross under my parents until I am 26 thank god this happened while I still have insurance.  My surgeon is very good he really inspired confidence and broke things down for me. The first thing he's going to do while he's in there is basically cut me the length of my leg following the peroneal nerve to find where it's compressed or severed. If it's severed he will reattach it but he said not many come back after being severed. From there I think he's going to do as much as he can. He said the acl and lcl should be done in separate surgeries because after the acl surgery you want to start bending the knee right away but that is not the case the lcl. My leg has to remain straight for quite some time after the first surgery. As for the hamstring it's torn on the outside he said if he can he'll reattach it, as for the calf I don't think he's doing anything. I know I should know a lot more but Frankly the whole thing makes me sick to think about in detail. Also plans could change once he gets in there and further assesses the damage

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 05:21:49 PM »
I just want to wish you lots of luck and hope everything goes well during and post surgery. I`m just working on getting my chondromalacia patella issue fixed or at least under control and am not even close to what you`re going through right now so hats to you my friend.
August 2014 MRI:
Mild Chondromalacia Patella in both knees
Normal cartilage thickness in both knee caps

Offline scottyleighton

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 05:27:31 PM »
Thank you! Good luck with your recovery as well.

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 05:36:11 PM »
by the way, you mentioned you have cartilage damage. Did your doctor give you any definite suggestions on how to get it fixed. I have other blogs here regarding a new product called Chondrofiller. It just came out in Europe and claims to regenerate cartilage with hyaline-like results. I have a little defect in my patella cartilage which is about 6 mm large x 4 mm high going less than 50% deep in the cartilage so I might get something like that done. Better to close it now then have it get bigger.
August 2014 MRI:
Mild Chondromalacia Patella in both knees
Normal cartilage thickness in both knee caps

Offline scottyleighton

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »
No definite suggestions. It really depends on what it looks like when he gets in there he said. My father has had many knee surgeries so he has been helping make a lot of the decisions with my doctor for me. This is only my 23rd day into the injury I have much more to learn I'm sure I will know tons more after surgery and will relay to all of you the entire procedure.

Offline randomlife

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 07:27:29 PM »
To reiterate everyone else... wow. Just wanted to drop a note to wish you the best as you move toward your first surgery and the recovery that will follow. This forum has been a great source of information and encouragement for me. I think you'll find the same!

Good luck!

lk
03/10: Lateral tibial plateau fx
05/11: Chondroplasty of lateral tibial plateau and patella w/ extensive synovectomy
02/12: Grade III lesions on patella, new Grade II fissure on medial femoral condyle
09/12: DeNovo and Elmslie-Trillat TTT
01/14: Hardware removal and arthroscopy

support