Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Quadraceps rupture  (Read 5022 times)

Offline Sharkey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 7
  • Ruptured Quad left knee 4/19/14, Right TKR 8/1/17
Quadraceps rupture
« on: July 11, 2014, 07:46:57 AM »
A day before Easter, I stepped off of a curb and ruptured the quad tendon in my left knee. A really freak accident. I'm 56 years old. I had surgery to repair it on 4/30/14. Doctor said it was one of the worst ruptures he has ever seen. Over the course of the last 2 months, he said it wasn't progressing so he had to do a MUA on 6/9/14. I have been going to rehab every day for 2 hours since 7/7/14. After therapy, my knee swells and is very sore, which is expected, then the PT wants me to do more exercises after I get home. I don't feel like doing anything after PT. I'm starting to get frustrated with it. I realize it's going to take time, but I need to know if all this extra work at home is crucial to me getting my knee right. How long does it take to see improvement?  As hard as I've been working at it, I feel I'm not progressing. I would appreciate any insight from anyone who's had to endure this type of injury. Thanks.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Quadraceps rupture
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 09:42:28 AM »
Hi Sharkey

Welcome to the RQT thread - you have sustained a very difficult injury and it will take quite a few months before you get a reasonable ROM.    Suggest that you read some of the previous posts on this injury and likewise read the documents on the attached thread.

Words of advise -  PATIENCE - listen to your knee - ASK questions - lots of buddies out here to help you. 

Suggest that you look at the thread " Ruptured Quadricep/Tendon surgery " as this this is the correct thread for your injury.

Where do you live?

Take care

John K/ Manchester UK

://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:44:00 AM by John42 »
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Sharkey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 01:01:09 AM »
Thx for the reply John42, I live in Michigan, outside Detroit.

Offline Sharkey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 08:01:54 AM »
Nice to see all the responses on here since I started this thread.      :(

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 03:41:06 AM »
Sharkey,you might have had more response on the regular thread which most of us follow. I am personally surprised at your lack of progress for I did virtually no exercises outside my 3 x per week PT sessions And was leading an almost normal life at 6 weeks. Now at 51 weeks I still get discomfort and swelling after exercise but radiographs found bone chips ( up to 10mm) round the damaged knee. Might be worth checking out.
  Good luck
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Tankabbot22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 04:51:42 PM »
I feel your pain! I'm 36 year old male and I ruptured my quad tendon 100%. It was a freak accident as I tripped getting out of a van. I'm a mechanic/laborer and my job requires me to do a lot of lifting and seasonal work outside. I'm 6 weeks out, I don't feel much pain,but it's so stiff. Heel slides help but I can only get to about 70 degrees on my own. I still can't lift my leg up on my own, even though I'm walking without a brace. Pt was pushing me today to rotate 360 on the bike! I told them they were crazy! I guess what I'm looking for is some hope. Is this repair strong and will I be able to get back to work?

Offline Tommy743

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 07:50:44 PM »
Sharkey-
Sorry to hear of your injury, I too suffered a complete rupture of my Quad tendon on 21st January this year. Here for everyone's benefit is my approximate time line to recovery.
I know every one is different but it might give you some idea what to expect.

I live in the UK by the way and I was 60 years old when I had the accident.

21st January AM, ruptured my quad tendon in my right leg at work, quite frankly I have never known pain like it, I really thought my knee cap had exploded.

22nd January PM, had operation to reattach the tendon to my knee cap.
I was discharged from hospital on the 23rd January with Paracetamol as a pain killer. I had a solid leg brace on with no flexion of my knee.

2 weeks post op, had my first appointment as an out patient, my solid leg brace was removed and an adjustable one fitted and set at 30 degrees flexion. All the dressings were removed. The swelling in my knee is considerable.

5 weeks post op, back to the hospital and my leg brace was opened up to give me 70 degrees flexion, I must add that I could not achieve that and, at best, could manage 50 degrees with considerable discomfort. I was discharged from hospital and handed over to the PT dept

7 weeks post op, Had my first physio session, they told me to discard my leg brace altogether and only use my crutches outside, all other times to persevere trying to walk normal. This was the worst time because I was frightened stiff if I should trip or fall over.all I was asked to do was knee slides, straight leg lifts, and walking as normal as I could. But all were very hard and painful.

10 weeks post op, continued with the leg lifts and knee slides, trying to get my leg as near as I could to my body.

12 weeks post op, I bought an exercise cycle for home use, as well as a wobble cushion to use. I could not ride the exercise cycle because I could only get about 80 degrees flexion.
I managed to walk upstairs for the first time properly by just supporting myself on the bannister. Going downstairs properly, or down inclines, is still impossible.

15 weeks post op, Felt absolutely great because I finally managed to get my leg all the way round on the exercise cycle, It's still sore, swollen and stiff, but I managed it. Got about 100 degrees flexion.

20 weeks post op, this is the point when I have really noticed the difference. I can walk almost properly now with no limp, I stress almost, I can walk upstairs unaided, and I can now walk downstairs, albeit slightly sideways. I can now get down inclines without any fear, and I can now kneel down on a carpeted floor with no pain.

22 weeks post op, I can now do leg lifts with a 2.5kg ankle weight with no pain and can use my cycle with pedal resistance and I can pedal at 80 rpm. Got about 110 degrees flexion.

Present day, I am almost leading a normal life at long last and I have 120 degrees flexion, I have been advised by the physio that it will probably not get much better that that, but I can do everything now that I need to apart from walking downstairs properly, but I'm confident I will get that back in the next couple of weeks. My right knee is still a lot bigger than my left one but does not cause me any problems. I still get a lot of aches and twinges in my knee but nothing I cannot cope with. Especially when I have been stood up for a few hours. It also still feels slightly stiff as though I have a bandage wrapped around it, but nothing I cannot live with.

That's it I think, I hope this post is of benefit to someone, and if there is any advice I can give any one then please don't hesitate to contact me.
There were time when I felt so down and so low, and also times when I never thought I would get back to normal, but you do eventually. It just takes time, lots of it. As people have stated, it's a very serious and long term injury. But just keep at it guys, I am nearly there now and I'm sure that if I can do it, you can also.
All the very best to you all.
Kind regards
Tom

Offline Sharkey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 09:38:24 AM »
Thx for the reply Tommy. Good to hear you're almost there. I'm 4 months past operation, and I can only get to 85 ROM.  My doctor was expecting more, but I had contracted a bladder infection in June that set me back a week. Was hospitalized for 4 days. He realized it was out of my control, but still expects me to be more than 85 at this point. I go to PT 3 times a week and it seems to be working because at one point, I couldn't bend my knee at all. He did a MUA right after I recovered from the infection, and says he might have to do another one. I sure hope it doesn't come to that!! I see him on Sept 26th and will go from there. I had a part-time job that I'm on leave of and it's physical in nature, a lot of lifting, so I don't know if I'll be able to continue. If I can get to 85% of what it was, I'll be happy.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:40:47 AM by Sharkey »

Offline Tommy743

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 08:36:50 PM »
Hi Sharkey
I'm sure you'll get there.
Since my last post I now have 130 ROM which I'm delighted with and I can now walk up and down stairs normally.
I still have a little swelling but my Physiotherapist suggests I will always have that, and also it is still a little stiff on the knee joint. He suggests that it will always be like it too.
I have now finished with the PT and I am awaiting an Occupational Therapy assessment next week, and I'm sure he will then clear me to go back to work.

Best regards

Tommy

Offline Sharkey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 08:43:56 AM »
Thx again Tommy.  I just want to know if the stiffness in my knee will ever go away. It's really bad when I first get up out of bed, to go to the bathroom. I walk like I'm 85 yrs old. And although it really doesn't hurt
except for a sharp pain shooting thru it every now and then, the stiffness is what concerns me. It seems like I can't bend it past the current range of 85-90, and when I do it hurts like hell... I'm trying to be patient but it's really hard when I can't do the things I normally could do. PT has started me riding a stationary bike, but I can't pedal a full rotation, just half way with my left knee. Thx again for the reply.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 09:12:15 AM by Sharkey »

Offline Tommy743

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 11:31:47 AM »
Hi Sharkey
I was 15 weeks post op before I could get a full rotation of my knee on the exercise cycle.
I thought that I would never do it, but it comes right eventually.
I am 32 weeks post op now and I still have stiffness in my knee, It doesn't bother me at all and I have accepted the fact that it will probably always be like it.
Good luck
Regards
Tommy

Offline Sharkey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 08:07:50 AM »
Thx for the encouragement Tommy, good luck to you.

Offline rslackde

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 09:56:51 PM »
My thanks to Tommy and Sharky - I ruptured my quad tendon on January 8th.  I've been trying to get a sense of what the recovery would be like and your description were right on, or I hope they were right on.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 10:35:27 PM »
May I suggest to everybody once again - invest in purchasing a floor cycle - costs about 30 or $50- then sit in you favourite chair and pedal away - best thing since sliced bread.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon