Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New here and am curious if there are any people who are going through tkr  (Read 750 times)

Offline JAYJ1021

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. I had my first total knee replacement last summer when I was 37. This year following has been pretty bad. I ended up with an awful infection after complaining to the first doctor for several months. I saw someone new who found the infection. So they had to remove the replacement and put in an antibiotic cement spacer for 12 weeks along with IV antibiotics. During that time I was unable to put any weight on it so I had to either use wheelchair or hop using my other leg with a walker because crutches interfered with my pic line. Now I have finally gotten the new knee in. It's been about 8 weeks, and I am having so much pain. I am doing my exercises and I also go to p/t three days a week. I am scared to death of getting a repeat infection. My husband seems to think I should be without my cane by now, but my knee has given out twice in the past week and I have fallen. I don't use it all the time, mostly just for walking distance.  I was just wondering if anyone else is about that far from tkr and are having any of the same issues? Would love to hear from people who have gone through all of this.

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
I don't have experience with TKR, but had it with repeated surgeries that required months of immobilization like you (not so long, but still very long).

After you been immobilized for long periods of time such as these, the initial physio is very painful. It's like all tendons hurt a lot whenever you even try to move them. It's a long recovery process. Gaining back range of motion is no piece of cake either... Muscle atrophy tends to be way more that you could expect. That will take time too...

You have a long way ahead, but I suppose in 2 or 3 months you should be able to handle the basics, like walking without crutches even with a limp.

Offline JAYJ1021

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Thank you for the advise!!  I guess I really never even thought of that part of it. That makes complete sense to me.  :)

support