Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OATS  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Si_Mo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
OATS
« on: January 28, 2004, 03:39:59 PM »
Hi everybody, new to this web site so if it is on the wrong board please accept my apologies. I have just got back from my OS today and he has told me that I need OATS. I have been looking on the web about this procedure and understand what it is but I am not sure if I need or want it. I got told back in November after keyhole to my knee I have holes in cartilage. However since then the swelling has gone down and I can walk OK and do non-impact exercise (cross trainer, swim, bike and step machines at gym). He has told that it will be very unlikely to repair itself but if I take care it will not get much worse. Therefore if I can do the above (he says that is taking care) why bother with the operation. Yes at 30 I would like to carry on playing impact sports but I can make do with other non-impact sports. If I have the operation what type of recovery time am I looking at? How long will I be on crutches? I am on my feet at work all day so how long will I need off? And finally what are the long-term impacts if I do or do not have the operation.

Cheers

Simon Morris  

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: OATS
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 04:08:27 PM »
Hi,

I had the Oats procedure just about 8 weeks ago.  I had a 10 mm defect in the cartlidge that was repaired with just one plug.  I was non weight bearing for 4 weeks and then told it was ok to start slowing bearing weight.  It is now almost 8 weeks and I am still on cruthces.  My OS originally told me that I would be non weight bearing for about 4-6 weeks but I have developed some scar tissue on my patella tendon so my OS put me back on limited weight bearing until we get the scar tissue under control.    As far as work goes it doesnt look like that will happen for me for some time.  My job required me to be on my feet and as of right now that's not even a slight possibility as that causes more swelling and scar tissue to build up.
Just as you mentioned, the pain and swelling came and went for me before surgery.  The reason I decided to go ahead with it was because it was limiting what I can do and I couldnt deal with that.  Any type of squating or twisting movement would irritate my knee and it usually came out of the blue.  It began to effect the way I lived my life.  At first I thought it would go away but it only seemed to get worse with time.  I even tried PT to help with muscle strenghtening thinking that would help but it didnt.  My OS told me that if I left it untreated the defect could get larger and then be more difficult to fix.  So I opted for the surgery.  
As far as the reults go...its too soon to tell for me.  I can tell you that the catching and locking that I had before the surgery is now gone.  I will be having an xray next week to see how the graft is healing and I still have so much PT ahead of me.  
There are some people who have posted here about there experiences, just scan down to cartilige transplant.  Its been helpful to me.
Good luck with your decision as I know it is a difficult one.    
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

support