Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Complete patella tendon tear - rehab questions  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Thomas99

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 32
Complete patella tendon tear - rehab questions
« on: July 06, 2014, 10:24:18 AM »
Hi,

I tore my left patella tendon in half falling onto concrete footpath and had surgery to repair with hamstring graft 3 weeks ago. I have noticed that most people have started rehab/physio quite early.

In knee brace with up to 60 degrees movement, with no exercises proscribed and limited weight bearing on straight leg only. Next appointment in 2 weeks. Just had staples out of incision 3 days ago.

Is the treatment for tearing patella tendon in middle and graft different from tearing tendon from the knee cap ?

Wondering how long till I can walk ?

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Complete patella tendon tear - rehab questions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 11:48:31 AM »
Start reading this thread - probably the best resource for your injury on the whole of the Web.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=8389.msg617198;topicseen#msg617198

My link takes you to the current last post. The community in this group of patients is amazing, a classic example of how the internet community really helps support each other.

You are in for the long haul, but the friends you will make and who will accompany you a long the way via the group in the above link, will make it a lot easier for you.

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 02:06:35 PM »
Hi Thomas99

Welcome to KneeGuru - as stated by my friend Sue, you are in for a long rehab period in front of you.

In brief, you should be at about 30-40ROM once the brace is removed and then starts the long slog to recovery. 

Read with care previous posts on the RPT thread
and have a look at the documents included on the undermentioned link - The documents have been put together from myself and KneeGuru - will give you a good information about your injury and the rehab procedure.

Where do you live?   Keep posting

Take care   JohnK/ Manchester UK

://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 10:47:11 PM »
Thomas 6 weeks and 60 degrees sounds optimal. My idiot therapist had me bend earlier to 110 at 6 weeks despite doctors orders and I think that ended up stretching out my repair. Also your first focus should be getting that knee as straight as possible like your other leg before you worry about how much it bends. Bending is easier to obtain than full extension. So start doing passive heel props and prone hangs..... and take flexion slowly so your repair doesn't stretch out in the early phases. otherwise, you will end up with a patella alta.

Offline Thomas99

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 01:17:04 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

I live in Brisbane Australia and tore the patella tendon after tripping on a concrete footpath.

I understand that climbing/descending stairs will be difficult. After I get to the point of walking again, will I be able to climb up about 25 stairs, as my work office is on first floor with no access other than stairs.

Offline Thomas99

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 03:07:35 PM »
Is a mid section tear worse than tearing the tendon from the bone and is rehab any different for a mid section tear.

I am also about 40kg/88 pounds overweight at 120kg/264 pounds, will this complicate my recovery/rehab

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 05:55:26 PM »
Hi Thomas 99

Perhaps it would be wise to establish from your OS, how the tendon was repaired - in most cases, the OS drills four holes into your kneecap and reafixes the tendon to the kneecap by threading gut or wires through these holes.

Keep posting

Best

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Thomas99

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 12:44:32 AM »
My OS advised that they used a graft of the hamstring from under knee to join the two ends of the tendon together. The tendon did not tear away from bone, but tore in half.

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 06:32:05 PM »
Thomas, ideally you should be able to do everything after you are done healing and with rehab. I think using a graft to repair the tendon is usually a good idea. I had a mid substance tear and they didn't use a graft for me. It's usually the surgeon's choice depending on how much healthy tissue is left. What does your knee look like right now? Also, once you can bike, I would start biking to drop the extra weight. It can make a great difference in terms of how your knee feels.