Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anyone had an autograft to repair/reconstruct patella tendon?  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Kaddydee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 61
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had their patella tendon repaired/reconstructed using an autograft?
My OS briefly mentioned last visit that he would need to use my hamstring to reconstruct my patella tendon because it has been two years since my tear occurred.  I've read a lot of your recovery stories, without autograft use, but I'd be interested to hear experiences from people who have had autografts  - is recovery any different from normal PT repairs?etc  Surgery for chronic patella tears is quite rare so I'm struggling to find much information.

I will be seeing by OS in 2 weeks to discuss my PT surgery.  I'm trying to get as much information as possible before I see him.  I'm still not entirely sure I want to attempt the operation as often chronic cases have sub-optimal results and every time I have surgery something seems to go very wrong! Thankfully, I'm in no rush to make the decision so I will read up, and talk to all my doctors and physios and hopefully make the best decision for me.

Kaddydee

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
Re: Anyone had an autograft to repair/reconstruct patella tendon?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 03:34:39 PM »
Hi Kaddy, Yes I have actually read quite a lot of PT repairs using autografts. Several people have had them and the two main reasons they do it is: 1.) Chronic ruptures 2.) If a lot of time passes since the injury. In your case it is the second one I guess. As time passes, your body naturally forms scar tissue around the site of the injury. As you tendon scars, it contracts and as a result not enough tissue is present to have a solid repair. Therefore, to restore a proper tendon length and tensioning they use an autograft usually from a patient's hamstrings. A lot of research papers actually suggest using an autograft in all cases because it makes the repair more durable and allows early ROM.