Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: pkr or tkr ?  (Read 18117 times)

Offline turbostar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
pkr or tkr ?
« on: July 01, 2014, 10:27:57 AM »
Seem's like i have 4 options.
1, stay as i am bone on bone lateral side.
2, injections, are they any good?
3, part knee lateral side.
4 full knee replaced.
All suggestion's welcomed.

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 424
  • Neelie knee!
Re: pkr or tkr ?i
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 10:50:35 AM »
Hyaluronic acid injections help me, but seems like only about 50% of people benefit.  They are also quite expensive if you have to pay.  I've had 3 so far, and aim to get topped up about every 18 months.  I am not bone on bone though (I have a lateral defect with fibrocartilage).  Steroid can help with inflammation too, might be worth trying

Other options that could help are an unloader brace, or depending on your age an osteotomy.

If you decide on surgery, make sure you see a surgeon who is expert in the type of surgery, be it osteotomy, pkr (lateral ones especially require lots of expertise), tkr.  So do lots of research on the experts in your country

All of the surgeries are major and not without issues, also none will last forever, so best to delay as long as possible if you can live as you are

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline turbostar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: pkr or tkr ?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 11:00:15 AM »
I'm middle 50's not over weight, had no mensicus lateral side for 12 yrs now.
Bone is starting to crunch together also putting knee in different postion, that pulls and stretches everything in painfull places.
Oh what to do a pkr could take me into my 60's
or tkr could take me midd 70's
not sure about acid injection seeing as i'll have to pay for them

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 11:43:19 AM »
If you are in the UK and considering a lateral PKR, consult with the Oxford group who are the real experts according to an OS I spoke to (indeed they invented some of the PKRs)

http://www.oxfordkneegroup.com/

The advantage of a PKR over a TKR is you preserve the good compartments and can revise to a TKR later.  A TKR straight off is a one way street, lucky to get 20 years.  However, in 10 years you could get a TKR to take you to the end of your days

My OS does 200 TKR's a year, and pioneered robotic replacements so I'd feel perfectly happy with him doing a total, but I'd want to discuss PKR carefully with him and seek a second opinion

Contact Adrian Wilson in Hampshire about osteotomy too before making a decision.  Pretty sure he does replacements too

http://www.hampshireknee.co.uk

You can get HA injections on the NHS, ask your GP/surgeon (similarly all of the surgeries, assuming the surgeons have an NHS practice)

I certainly wouldn't make a decision on the basis of cost as your other post, especially as these ops are available on the NHS
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:00:40 PM by Vickster »
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline turbostar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 12:00:34 PM »
Interesting, thanks.
I'm in Berkshire OS i see is in Bristol, Mr David Johnson
He's preety good i'll ask him about Oxford knee Centre

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 12:01:57 PM »
Just edited a bit

Also ask him about Adrian Wilson, although in mid 50s, osteotomy may not be a viable option, normally for younger patients to delay time to replacement. Basingstoke is not far from Berkshire though

Berkshire to Bristol is a bit of a yomp for treatment.

Offline turbostar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 12:09:23 PM »
Sure is a trek but seing as the first 2 OS i saw 12 yrs ago local messed the knee up. Sometimes the travel out ways getting the right treatment.

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 12:24:58 PM »
True. I've been lucky that my GP referred me to an excellent guy locally 5 years ago. I did have to be referred to another surgeon 2 hours away for a cartilage repair that never happened thanks to my then insurance company playing silly beggars.  However, it was an utter pain and I am glad to be back with the local guy (well not glad as it followed an accident but you know what I mean!)

Offline turbostar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 12:39:03 PM »
One thing that does concern me is seeing as i have had a lateral release and a ttt how good would the pkr be? along with 3 mensicus removals

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 12:51:44 PM »
You'd need to discuss with the surgeon.  However, for a uni I think the other compartments need to be in good shape, presumably your patello femoral joint isn't if you had an LR and TTT as those are petalla alignment ops? Also everything should be aligned I think for a unilateral replacement?

What does Mr Johnson suggest? Sounds like yours is a pretty complex history

Offline turbostar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 01:00:20 PM »
Well he says the medial sides good and the pf joint is good also. Knee caps tracking in the middle. Just the lateral side shot away from being knocked knee'd all my life.

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 01:27:33 PM »
That's good then.  I am knock kneed too, although no issues until the injury.  That's why the other surgeon wouldn't repair the cartilage without an osteotoy, although my regular surgeon believes the valgus is very mild.  I've started using orthotics to help

Offline turbostar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 01:34:21 PM »
I looked into them, think thats a ? for physio when i see them. Do you find them any good?

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 01:38:01 PM »
I can't use them in all my shoes but where I can they put my feet and knees in a more neutral position for walking so certainly should be of benefit - my knees roll in when I walk, when I squat etc.  I have muscle wastage on one side too right now, which doesn't help and weak hips

Didn't cost me anything as Bupa paid so can't lose really (although they weren't that much)

If you only have one knee affected, it's probably worth asking your physio about an unloader brace too as a conservative measure for now
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:40:06 PM by Vickster »

Offline turbostar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 02:00:28 PM »
Snap, my hip hurts all the time from being pulled on more. Feel's like the leg needs proping up on the outside. Hip hykes seem to be the best excercise to control it.

support