Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Clicking knees!!  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Phil_Muldoon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Clicking knees!!
« on: January 27, 2004, 04:22:55 PM »
 :-[  Hi guys....need some help.
My knees have developed an annoying tendency to click loudly, particularly when I walk up and down stairs. I am also struggling with some other kinds of activity.
What's wrong with me? Am I disintegrating???

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Clicking knees!!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 04:57:31 PM »
Hey !

Have you had injuries before ? Are you in pain or is it just the sounds ?

nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Phil_Muldoon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 05:11:29 PM »
No injuries that I can remember...pain limited to carrying excess weight upstairs (not my own!!). Just feels like a lack of lubrication more than anything...

Phil :-/

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 05:36:14 PM »
Hello Phil,

Have you seen your GP yet as it fairly common for knees to click but if it causes any pain you should see a OS (Orthopedic Surgeon).

My OS recommends to take Glucosamine Chondroitin Tablets  3 times a day everyday that basically lubricates your joints and suppose to help put less strain on articular cartilage that can lead to osteo-arthritus. Have just started taking them but not sure it will help me, worth giving it a try as it has helped Members on this board. Its aslo herbal, so should have no side affects.

Can buy it from you local Health Food Shop such as Holland & Barratt in UK. Or a website that I  buy my tablets from, that got a sale on at the moment.
 www.healthspan.co.uk  

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/shop/product.aspx?id=GL5+ (This is the product I am using)

Hope I have given you some useful advise, Nick  :){2004}:)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Phil_Muldoon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 05:41:04 PM »
 :) Much appreciate the info, will give it a go  :)

Offline gizzmo13

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 01:26:27 PM »
Just to say that despite being "natural," glucosamine supplements can have side effects. They're usually derived from fish and shellfish products so be careful if you have allergies, and they can cause other problems. I had to stop taking them after a week because of dreadful heartburn  :-[, which is a known side-effect. Can't remember the others.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 02:25:05 PM »
Hey Phil, yes you should see an Orthopedic Surgeon as pain is never a symptom that should be ignored. Give the Glucosamine a whirl, it really could help. But like  the other's said don't take it if you have allergies. I take a liquid form of Glucosamine sulfate wiht Chondroiton and MSM. They are also very good for your joints.  Chondroiton is a shark cartilage product and MSM is a naturally occuring product that has similar properties to DMSO, which was used for years, orally and topically with athletes, and we still use it on horses. :D  Glucosamine has the same properties as already existing chemicals in our body that become less in numbers as we age.  The glucosamine helps support the production of Colagen an important part of the cartilage matrix and the production of synovial fluid (the lubricant in the knee joint).  IF I sound like a text book, it's because I did a study on Glucosamine use in horses when I was in College.  ;)
I totally feel ya on carrying things up stairs, I used to work at a stable, and they had to get the feed put into smaller bags, 25 kilo for me, as the 40 just totally destroyed my knees.  :-/
Hopefully you get some help soon.  HOw is your quad strength? That can have a bearing on how your Patella Femoral joint tracks.  There are lot's of good exercises in the REhab Gym section of this site.   ;)
HUGS and Luck
linds
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 02:28:22 PM by Linds »
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Phil_Muldoon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 02:42:34 PM »
 8) Really appreciate all the suggestions...initial appointment made for next week, then we'll see 8)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2004, 03:53:08 PM »
Helllo Phil,

I am sorry that I said Glucosamine Chondroitin had no side affects as there no warning on potential side effects on the packaging. This is the reason for thinking it was safe and glad you booked to see OS. When I said see a OS if knees cause pain, I ment in general pain, not only while knees click.

Glad KNEEguru moved your posting to correct section, Nick  :){2004}:)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support