Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL hamstring graft issues  (Read 770 times)

Offline monsterknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL hamstring graft issues
« on: June 24, 2014, 01:41:08 AM »
So in 2008 i completely tore my acl, mcl, partial tear in my lcl and some small meniscus tears. I had the hamstring single bundle replacement surgery and everything was well just great until a month ago. I was playing some softball and while in the motion of swinging my right knee gave out. i didn't have alot of pain just remember the whole knee pop and said oh no not again.

So far i had the medical opinions i have had were:
- emergency doctor say it was meniscus
- surgeon (first visist) says it was a partial tear .
- surgeon (second visit one month later after physio) said he thinks the ACL is good and likes the xrays saying alignment and tunnel placement from the first surgery were good. doesn't see any signs of a damaged joint either. he said that had i not complained about the popping and knee buckling he would have thought my knee was doing just fine. He pretty much eliminated a serious meniscus tear due to the nature of motion i described to him pointing out where the tears usually occur.

the whole idea is that i hear big time popping in my knee especially when i pivot followed by the knee buckling. feels like dislocations of the tibia. sometimes the pops are so loud people around me hear them when it happens.Running, and sports are out of the question right now as this happens when i'm walking let alone pivoting. However, he seems to think that my ACL graft is good based on having a firm end point on the lachman test.

Anyone else experience something like this? just so curious that physical exams can't figure out what is going on here. IS it possible the graft is stretched enough to cause instability but give a negative result on the lachman test? i'll follow up with mri results

Offline monsterknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACL hamstring graft issues (mpfl vmo issues)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 10:44:54 PM »
Well Turns out this had nothing to do with my ACL.

In the end i experienced a partial tear to my VMO and medial patellofemoral ligament. Basically meaning i had a knee cap dislocation. I'm 3 months since the original injury and i'm going to continue to do another month or 2 of physio therapy. My current symptoms include buckling of the knee when my knee cap pops out of its track.

If by 3 for months i still have patella dislocating issues i might have to consider having it rebuilt.

anyone else experience similar problems with a dislocating patella and when it might require surgery?

support